Apple lays down Mac App Store rules, launching next week?

Jos

Staff

Apple has been largely quiet about its forthcoming Mac App Store ever since the new venture was announced at the company’s Back to the Mac event in October. But this weekend some fresh information finally began surfacing around the web, including the rules by which developers looking to submit apps will have to abide. Most notably, trial versions, betas and demo software will not be allowed in the store, only “fully functional, retail versions” of applications.

The restriction is rather surprising given how trial versions of applications in the App Store for iOS devices have come in quite handy for those who want to try before they buy. Hit game titles like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope, for example, are also available in a "lite" version for free. Instead the Cupertino-based company is suggesting that the best venue for developers to offer trial versions or beta software is their own websites.

Apple also issued tips for developers on how to meet the Mac App Store guidelines, like ensuring that applications store data in the appropriate location and follow its interface design principles for creating custom controls in a Mac application. Apple is rumored to hold a media event next week to announce the availability of magazine and newspaper subscriptions on the iPad through iTunes. It's possible that the Mac App Store could launch at this event.

Permalink to story.

I really hope the Mac appstore will get more developers to release OS X software, since the iOS appstore exists there has been a noticeable decline of Mac apps.

do they need a app store for the mac? dont mac users just download and install whatever programs they need. You shouldn't need some sort of app store. I guess for the mainstream the app store is a good idea, but everyone else could just use freeware and such.

Guest said:
do they need a app store for the mac? dont mac users just download and install whatever programs they need. You shouldn't need some sort of app store. I guess for the mainstream the app store is a good idea, but everyone else could just use freeware and such.

Intel has been doing this same thing for a while, now. Never really understood the need for it, but I guess if you're bored, then it's good.

I do like trial offers as they give you the chance to try before you buy. So it's sad to see that go, but at the same time, it's good because it'll keep the store from being cluttered. Same thing goes for BETAs. Not that it matters to me since i'm a Windows guy, lol. Just throwing my thoughts out there.

No you don't need an AppStore for the mac, you are free to download and buy software elsewhere. This is just meant as an alternative. I think the success of the iOS App Store made them release it for OS X and from what i've seen most Mac developers are excited about it because most customers already have their iTunes account and is a big window to showcase you apps. The bad thing is Apple taking 30% of the revenue, but i guess is the price you have to pay for that kind of exposure.

Buying apps on websites sucks because every app has its own way if registration and activation. Having to type or copy activation keys etc. Is just stone-age. Also, the support often auks and installation is not as easy as it could br. Also, nobody chrkca the quality of an app before you buy it so if it crashes you can't do anything about it. However, the AppStore guidelines ensure high quality products that also follow the human interface guidelines where many apps (steam?) fail.

Back