TechSpot

Apple may be preparing a cheaper iPhone made of plastic for 2014

By Shawn Knight
Mar 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Loyal iPhone users and potential buyers that are waiting for a larger handset may have to keep sitting on their cash for another year. A new report from Japanese Apple-based website Macotakara claims that a larger iPhone is being pushed...

Read more
  2. I can imagine how apple boast their new cheaper version iPhone.. "now, with plastic unibody made from polycarbonate more lighter than aluminum"
  3. monkeychef23

monkeychef23 TS Member Posts: 91

Apple has made it very clear that they have no intentions on releasing a "cheap" iPhone. If anything, they will release a "less expensive" alternative to their flagship device.

It's all in the wording. Apple's smart like that.
  4. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 577   +98

With no Steve Jobs to rein them in, I can see Apple walking the same road they did in the late 80s - early 90s.....They could easily become the next Nokia or RIM...
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,030   +738

Either way I'll be sticking with Android for a while. If I do change, it'll be to Windows.
    Uvindu likes this.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,066   +704

We also heard rumors that Apple would produce more than one phone to capture more of the market. So they may have a top of the line phone and a cheaper plastic one so they can fill out the market better. I can't imagine their only phone will sell for $330. Apple has never priced a product reasonably, and they know they don't have to.

If their only new phone is $330 new, that means every previous iPhone will also drop in value. I'm betting the $330 iPhone is a discount version of whatever their new flagship will be.
    Uvindu likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.