Apple offers $100 back to recent iPad customers

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

When it comes to new gadgets, Apple generally leaves its customers in the dark until the very last minute. Cupertino doesn't unveil a product until days or weeks before it's on store shelves, and even then some ill-informed shoppers just don't get the memo, leaving them to unknowingly purchase "obsolete" products on the eve of a refresh.

That's precisely what happened to many people who recently bought the original iPad, which was replaced this week by a sleeker, faster model. To ease the pain of investing in dated tech, Apple will offer cash back to anyone that purchased a first-generation iPad between February 16 and March 1, the day before Apple unveiled the iPad 2.

US customers will receive $100 while folks overseas will get £100 or €100 -- and that's cold, hard cash, not store credit. To receive compensation, swing by an Apple Store location with your receipt or call the company's customer service (1-800-676-2775) if you purchased your iPad online. The iPad 2, will launch March 11 with a starting price of $499.

Permalink to story.

Well that's nice. What about Tax? lol. So does that mean the original low end iPad is now $399?

Thats a good show. Had a student couple of days ago with a brand new iPad 1 that she had bought couple of days before the ipad2 show.

Princeton said:
Couldn't they just return it?

If they have a "30 day return" policy, then yes. But this is Apple, they want to suck the money out of you. Instead of saying "just return your iPad and we'll refund you" they say "oh...well...uh...bring it back and we'll give ya $100 back." They make more money that way. And most people would be too stupid to think "wait...it hasn't been 30 days...I can just return it for a full refund." (minus whatever restocking fees may apply)

This is Apple...I wouldn't put it past them to do that.

*just looked up their return policy, and you have 14 days to return anything unopened. Doesn't say what happens if it's opened, though.

"if you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase, return it with the original receipt and original packaging within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase. If the item is returned unopened, in the original box, we will exchange it or offer a refund based only on the original payment method."

But I guess if you didn't buy it from an Apple store, and got it from another retailer, then you generally would get a refund minus any restocking fee. This is part of why I never buy directly from the company that made the product.

Princeton said:
Couldn't they just return it?

Done :) I'm pretty sure that any place an IPad was bought, has at the very least a 30 day return policy, at least in the US. Some have a far lengthier return policy on electronics. Would be a good thing to check ahead.

Again, a pretty clever marketing strategy from Apple. Keep mum on the release of new hardware so that you can ensure sales of your last gen product don't taper off, then throw a bone to the customers, resulting in gratitude that "Apple cares about them".

End result: People stuck with the last gen tablet end up feeling grateful to Apple. Profit on 1st Gen iPad - $100 = still profit for Apple. And then grateful consumer buys more Apple stuff = more profit. Brilliant!

@gwailo247
I stand and applaud you, good sir. If only those brainwashed Apple brown-nosers could see it the same way. Guess it's not their fault, though. Apple does a great job with marketing. Gotta give 'em that much, lol

Wouldn't the better option be to sell it on eBay, surely people will pay more than $100 for it, even if it is used

yukka said:
negroplasty said:
£100 = $162 wtf... is the ipad more expensive in the UK?

Well it costs £499 in UK so same ratio of rebate.

Yea Apple don't understand £-$ rates so £1=$1

Many companys are accused of doing this, Steam used to price almost all games £=$ but they got better last few years. Its really pisses me off.

aj_the_kidd said:
Wouldn't the better option be to sell it on eBay, surely people will pay more than $100 for it, even if it is used

Or like I said, just return the damn thing.

Back