Apple ordered to pay all of Samsung’s legal fees over iPad notice in UK

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple has been ordered by the Court of Appeal of England to pay all of Samsung’s legal fees on an “indemnity basis” as punishment for publishing a statement that has been described as untrue and incorrect with regards to Samsung not copying the iPad's design.

It’s common practice for the loser to have to pay for the winner’s legal fees in England and Wales but the extra compensation is unusual and ultimately was done to publically shame Apple.

In July Apple was ordered by a UK court to publish a notice on their website and in multiple national newspapers stating that Samsung did not copy the design of the iPad. Cupertino filed an appeal last month but lost and was ultimately forced to carry out the sentence.

What they posted, however, contained sections of text that the UK Court of Appeal in London deemed false and misleading. The company also mentioned other legal outcomes against Samsung in an effort to spin the notice in a positive way. It’s a move that the court said was a calculated attempt to cause a lot of confusion and they were ordered to remove the statement and substitute it with a revised version.

Apple followed through with the order but again, not without mixing in a bit of trickery. The updated apology was posted on the UK with a bit of Javascript designed to make certain that no matter which display you were using, you’d have to first scroll down past a collection of Apple products to see it.

Permalink to story.

At one time we, as consumers, had ethics. it's sad to see that so many are willing to trade those in for a insignificant bauble in an effort to be like everyone else. I've pretty much take the tactic of pointing and laughing when ever I see someone using an Apple product.. thankfully there are less of them now then a few years back.

At one time we, as consumers, had ethics. it's sad to see that so many are willing to trade those in for a insignificant bauble in an effort to be like everyone else. I've pretty much take the tactic of pointing and laughing when ever I see someone using an Apple product.. thankfully there are less of them now then a few years back.

Sadly, I'm sort of the same way.. I always try to make people aware of better, cheaper, options.

What you consider as "better" doesn't necessarily mean someone else (such as myself) finds it "better"

I lost my iPhone a month ago now and I've been using Android 2.3 Gingerbread on a Samsung Galaxy that my Girlfriend had spare, I'm going to be completely honest, just wow, what a pile of horse crap, its slow, dumb witted and has one of the worst reacting keyboards I have ever come across, its also really annoying having to have so many buttons, I some how got more done on an iPhone which has one button than this phone with 3 buttons, Hell I get more done on a Windows phone (which hopefully I will be moving to next month until I save up for an iPhone again).

Again though, just food for thought, just because YOU find something BETTER than an iPhone, doesn't mean everyone else in the world does.

I think everyone is pretty much agreed. Apple so had that coming after what they have done to Samsung this past year. Personally I am on the side of Samsung, and I was wishing that the courts would stick it to Apple. I guarantee there is some high blood pressure at Apple over this one. LOL!

All I can see is Apple doing what Apple does best. Shady. Period. You dont go messing with Judges, no matter what country they are in. Judges are pretty much the Voice of the Land. Only higher Judges can overturn any previous Judges ruling. What Apple basically did is thumb their noses at the UK Justice system. Not a very bright idea considering they want the Judge to rule in their favor. Not only that, but this ruling in the UK can and will affect rulings in other countries. It sets a precedent. Its not like the Judge who ruled against Apple is from some backwater country. Its the UK!! All Apple has done is show the court system that if they dont get their way, they will spin it to look like they did and thumb their noses at the Judicial system.

What you consider as "better" doesn't necessarily mean someone else (such as myself) finds it "better"

I lost my iPhone a month ago now and I've been using Android 2.3 Gingerbread on a Samsung Galaxy that my Girlfriend had spare, I'm going to be completely honest, just wow, what a pile of horse crap, its slow, dumb witted and has one of the worst reacting keyboards I have ever come across, its also really annoying having to have so many buttons, I some how got more done on an iPhone which has one button than this phone with 3 buttons, Hell I get more done on a Windows phone (which hopefully I will be moving to next month until I save up for an iPhone again).

Again though, just food for thought, just because YOU find something BETTER than an iPhone, doesn't mean everyone else in the world does.

You do realize that you are comparing the equivalent of iPhone 1 to the latest iPhone when comparing iPhone4 to a device using Gingerbread 2.3. Go try out the Galaxy SIII and see whether that blows away anything Apple has.

Personally I am all for devices that just work for what I need them to do WITHOUT any restrictions. Want to quickly copy any resolution MP4 video from my computer to the device and the device play said media, good luck with Apple. Want to bring along the kids movie library on a road trip and then copy the videos between devices without internet, good luck with Apple (microSD). Battery low because you are at the job site for last 14+ hours and it looks like it will be another 8, SIII you CAN replace the battery.
ETC...

Again, I am all for devices that just WORK for the situation at hand. If you are fine with the walled garden approach of Apple, then all the power to you...

In the cellphone selling world, Apples Iphone in any of its incarnations, is concidered a "Kindergarten" Smartphone. By kindergaten it means basic easy of use. Its really hard to mess up a Iphone unless you are jailbreaking it. It has the ease of use that ppl getting into a smartphone for the first time can cope with. That being said, Android is more for those ppl who want to use their device as THEY see fit. So when picking a phone, most ppl who get another Iphone, just want it to work with no bugs. I cant tell you how many Android phones I have had to reset and wipe because someone either downloaded a app that caused their phone to go wonky or they tried to root or jailbreak it. I never see this with Apple. The worst I have to deal with on Apple is someone forgetting their unlock code. So in summation. Its all about PERSONAL choice. What works for one might not work for another.

You do realize that you are comparing the equivalent of iPhone 1 to the latest iPhone when comparing iPhone4 to a device using Gingerbread 2.3. Go try out the Galaxy SIII and see whether that blows away anything Apple has.

Personally I am all for devices that just work for what I need them to do WITHOUT any restrictions. Want to quickly copy any resolution MP4 video from my computer to the device and the device play said media, good luck with Apple. Want to bring along the kids movie library on a road trip and then copy the videos between devices without internet, good luck with Apple (microSD). Battery low because you are at the job site for last 14+ hours and it looks like it will be another 8, SIII you CAN replace the battery.
ETC...

Again, I am all for devices that just WORK for the situation at hand. If you are fine with the walled garden approach of Apple, then all the power to you...

I have used an SIII its better but still has way too many sub menu's for what feels like basic tasks.
Anyway my point was that the people above my last post who were trying to recommend anything but an iPhone, I used an example of myself to help explain to them that its not all about what is "better" as there isn't really such thing anymore, its all down to preference.

you also make some good and valid points about Android based phones, I don't quite know why your kids have SIII's and require entire video library's on their phones but I'm not a fan of watching movies on a screen any smaller than 7Inchs.

Anyway at least you agree its what works for you that counts, on this site, its were people who like the latest and greatest technology go to read the latest news that they are interested in, a lot of people here like to fiddle and tweak with their phone so there are a lot of Android supporters here, I was simply standing up for simplicity of the iPhone since I deal with big complex virtualized server environments everyday and its really nice to go into my pocket and find something that just works.

I'm not an Apple fan though, I wouldn't ever buy a Mac, I'm starting to see the idea of an iPad a luxury item (before I couldn't see the point in them at all) but the iPhone, there's something I feel they have done right.

"What you consider as "better" doesn't necessarily mean someone else (such as myself) finds it "better"
I lost my iPhone a month ago now and I've been using Android 2.3 Gingerbread on a Samsung Galaxy that my Girlfriend had spare, I'm going to be completely honest, just wow, what a pile of horse crap, its slow, dumb witted and has one of the worst reacting keyboards I have ever come across, its also really annoying having to have so many buttons, I some how got more done on an iPhone which has one button than this phone with 3 buttons, Hell I get more done on a Windows phone (which hopefully I will be moving to next month until I [FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]save[/FONT][/FONT] up for an iPhone again).
Again though, just food for thought, just because YOU find something BETTER than an iPhone, doesn't mean everyone else in the world does."

- If I ever lost my phone, I have multiple ways to use GPS & track it down. You obviously didn't.
- If your girlfriend had a spare phone, that's because Android devices last longer. Where was your iPhone spare? Oh?
- Dumb witted? The iPhone was meant to simplify things for users...who can't learn new software...
- So many buttons! You don't say? Two more than an iPhone? That must have been confusing for you.
- You claim you "some how get more done" so...again...considering this is your girlfriend's OLD phone, you should have restored it to default, in which I'm sure it wouldn't be "too slow"
F - Surprised you didn't mention Siri, but Android has apps that work much more efficiently, and can be activated while the phone is locked, making it safer to use while driving.
G - It's funny that you have to "Save up for an iPhone AGAIN" My old Android phone is now over 3 years old, and works absolutely fine. I paid $50 for it. I upgraded a few months ago...and paid $50 for it. You lost(and couldn't find) the only phone you had.

Your typical iPhone user swears it's the greatest device in the world, yet doesn't mention what happen to the one they bought a few months ago for $300+...hates on Android users, yet we're saving money, rarely have cracked screens & don't have to deal with repeating ourselves to a robot named Siri...Sorry if some of us appreciate devices that we can pick more than just the color and memory size of.

Your typical Android device user doesn't swear that because we feel OUR device is better we try to get everyone in the world to think so. We're just tired of childish hatred for anything BUT your one single device that you over-paid for then swore there was not a SINGLE thing wrong with it. Therefore we rebuttal, and iPhone users whine about it and make completely illogical arguments about things like how two more buttons than the iPhone is too many.

@above guest.
First its obvious that the Iphone is their prefered phone. Sometimes bigger is not always better. To blast this person because they prefer the Iphone is almost as bad as the Apple fanboys.

"What you consider as "better" doesn't necessarily mean someone else (such as myself) finds it "better"
I lost my iPhone a month ago now and I've been using Android 2.3 Gingerbread on a Samsung Galaxy that my Girlfriend had spare, I'm going to be completely honest, just wow, what a pile of horse crap, its slow, dumb witted and has one of the worst reacting keyboards I have ever come across, its also really annoying having to have so many buttons, I some how got more done on an iPhone which has one button than this phone with 3 buttons, Hell I get more done on a Windows phone (which hopefully I will be moving to next month until I [FONT=inherit][FONT=inherit]save[/FONT][/FONT] up for an iPhone again).
Again though, just food for thought, just because YOU find something BETTER than an iPhone, doesn't mean everyone else in the world does."

- If I ever lost my phone, I have multiple ways to use GPS & track it down. You obviously didn't.
- If your girlfriend had a spare phone, that's because Android devices last longer. Where was your iPhone spare? Oh?
- Dumb witted? The iPhone was meant to simplify things for users...who can't learn new software...
- So many buttons! You don't say? Two more than an iPhone? That must have been confusing for you.
- You claim you "some how get more done" so...again...considering this is your girlfriend's OLD phone, you should have restored it to default, in which I'm sure it wouldn't be "too slow"
F - Surprised you didn't mention Siri, but Android has apps that work much more efficiently, and can be activated while the phone is locked, making it safer to use while driving.
G - It's funny that you have to "Save up for an iPhone AGAIN" My old Android phone is now over 3 years old, and works absolutely fine. I paid $50 for it. I upgraded a few months ago...and paid $50 for it. You lost(and couldn't find) the only phone you had.

Your typical iPhone user swears it's the greatest device in the world, yet doesn't mention what happen to the one they bought a few months ago for $300+...hates on Android users, yet we're saving money, rarely have cracked screens & don't have to deal with repeating ourselves to a robot named Siri...Sorry if some of us appreciate devices that we can pick more than just the color and memory size of.

Your typical Android device user doesn't swear that because we feel OUR device is better we try to get everyone in the world to think so. We're just tired of childish hatred for anything BUT your one single device that you over-paid for then swore there was not a SINGLE thing wrong with it. Therefore we rebuttal, and iPhone users whine about it and make completely illogical arguments about things like how two more buttons than the iPhone is too many.

I don't know why I'm replying to such a silly post but I'm bored at work so I might as well.

Firstly of course I know how to track my phone, the fact you think I didn't worries me. But It was gone, for good, I think I dropped it out on a road and it more than likely got ran over, especially in London.

Android Devices don't last longer at all, this Galaxy feels older than a Nokia N85 to me but its not. The reason I don't have my old iPhone 3GS is because I sold it, Unlike most Android Phones, iPhones seem to keep their value better when re-selling, I've already factored into my phone budget this year to pickup a spare Windows phone for if my iPhone is out of action for any reason.

When I say more buttons, I mean that I have a button for opening extra menu's, another for going backwards and another for getting to the menu, it feels really un-natural to press a physical back button, I found this issue on the windows phone also, just felt smoother on windows though, I think that's purely down to menu styling.

I didn't mention Siri because it is still technically in Beta and I don't use it much unless I'm in the car and replying to text messages, I don't understand why your mentioning Siri?

I can learn new software, hell I'm currently studying Windows Server 2012, got it on a virtual machine in front of me right now trying to get it into a useable production environment, I just found Android has little quirks missing that make it feel cheap, such as when texting someone, you click on spare area above the keyboard, on an iPhone the keyboard minimizes so you can read more text on screen, on android it just opens up that particular text. There are several little things I could list but I can't be bothered.

I don't understand what money has got to do with it either? Top end Android phones are almost just as expensive yet the operating system is essentially free? Apple actually had to develop theirs.

Anyway I'm bored of replying now, all I'm going to say is I have friends who prefer android and friends who prefer iPhone / Windows phone, the reasoning behind each person will be different.

Back