Apple patent filing outlines methods to lessen iPhone drop damage

By Shawn Knight
Mar 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Having to lug around your iPhone in a bulky protective case to prevent damage from accidental drops may soon be a thing of the past if Apple has anything to say about it. A recent patent filing from Cupertino outlines...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

Interesting.
  3. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 241   +11

Nice stuff, I would love to throw my Iphone 5 through the window and see it parachute down to the ground! :)
  4. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 178   +25

If only it had mini thrusters. Then again, what happens if you're falling with the iPhone... oh crap.
  5. Now, its get ugly, it's against Steve.
  6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,425   +618

Step 1: Don't make it out of poor-quality glass.
    Step 2: Don't do it at all. The reason iPhones are selling so well is because they conveniently break 234235 times during your contract.

Also, how do you measure free fall? That's some pretty hardcore maths.. what happens if I just happen to wave the phone in downward motion at near-freefall speed?
  7. JC713

I notice that iPhone 4s break a lot more than iPhone 5s . The iPhone 5 eliminated the glass they used in the iphone 4 (basically carrying a vase). The iphone 5s screen doesn't scratch like my iPod touch did. Very cool how they can chemically make glass that can withstand scratches.
  8. St1ckM4n

Yeah I agree, technically the 5 is superior. Although I wonder what kind of smash rates we'll see when the 5S gets announced.... :p
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,652   +507

Ok. I was instantly thinking of an iPillow to carry with you, or iBubble Pack to wrap the phone in :)
  10. JC713

hahaha, yeah. They have to compete with Gorilla glass.
  11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,526   +856

Couldn't they just limit iPhone sales to short people...?:confused: Then too, there's always "stickum" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stickum

Just because it's illegal in the NFL, doesn't mean you can't glue your phone to your hand with it.

And for those of you who always seem to have sticky hands anyway, I guess you have a "leg up" on the situation already, in a manner of speaking.
    Matt12345170 likes this.

12. St1ckM4n

I was leaning more towards people purposely smashing their 5, so they have a 'reason' to upgrade. :D
    JC713 likes this.
  13. highlander84

highlander84 TechSpot Member Posts: 98   +20

If I'm not mistaken, I read exactly this several months ago? I don't think it was from Apple though...but it was here on Techspot...
  14. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,519   +311

15. JC713

yeah I got that lol.
  16. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

As a individual that sells cellphones let me be the first to say that no matter what they make, Gravity will always win in a contest vs. your smartphone. You may get lucky a few times you drop it. But eventually Gravity ALWAYS wins. Until better quality smartphones are built, the only real options are going to be a case and screenguard. Dont be cheap and try to get away with not having them on your phone. The cost of either cancelling your contract or having to purchase a new phone at the actual retail price is way more expensive. A case and screenguard runs roughly $50-$100 dollars. Also dont forget to get the insurance, it may not cover everything you may do to your phone, but its better then buying a whole new phone.
  17. highlander84

highlander84 TechSpot Member Posts: 98   +20

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.