Apple reportedly cutting AirPods 3 orders by 30 percent amid weak demand

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple has cut Q2-Q3 orders for the AirPods 3 by at least 30 percent according to respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Demand for these wireless earbuds, which debuted last October, has been significantly weaker than for AirPods 2, he added.

Apple is still on track to launch an updated version of its AirPods Pro in the second half of 2022. Kuo believes Apple could be preparing to discontinue the original AirPods Pro once the second-gen buds launch later this year to avoid making the same mistake again.

Second-gen AirPods are still available directly from Apple priced at $129. The third-gen AirPods command $179 but up the ante with spatial audio, improved battery life and an IPX4 rating against sweat and water.

In an earlier research note, Kuo claimed the upcoming AirPods Pro 2 will feature a new design that does away with the stems on the current model to look more like the Beats Fit Pro. Lossless audio support is also likely in the cards, as is a location tracking feature for the charging case to make it easier to find. The latter will almost certainly be integrated into the Find My app.

They'll also supposedly be powered by a new chip that improves connectivity with paired devices and come with built-in sensors to enable fitness tracking functionality.

No word yet on a potential price point or launch window outside of the second half of 2022.

Image credit Sandeep, Dario

Permalink to story.

Under apple's current marketing strategy, it makes no sense to by the gen 1 product.

Wait till gen 5 and then buy. All the inherent flaws should be ironed out by then.

I see people constantly walking around wearing ear pods - not saying they're all apple, but they have ear pods of some make/model jammed in their ears.....walking, working, driving...ignoring the world around them instead of paying attention.

Kids these days, once they hit their late thirties of early forties, are going to be half deaf because they constantly jam their ears with ear pods/buds or wear headphones.

Then again, there are some people at my work that don't wear ear plugs (it's a noisy environment), but instead they wear air pods because (I'm told) they work good for noise reduction. Then when I walk up to these people to talk and I have ear plugs in, I can still hear their music going because they have it so loud.

I don't support these types of devices and I hate the fact that my kids are, required by their schools, to have air pods or some kind of ear buds so they can stream and listen to crap on their school provided iPads. WTF? Can't a teacher put a video up on the projection device or TV and kids can take notes these days? Why do the kids need to constantly have listening devices jammed into their ears?

I see people constantly walking around wearing ear pods - not saying they're all apple, but they have ear pods of some make/model jammed in their ears.....walking, working, driving...ignoring the world around them instead of paying attention.

Kids these days, once they hit their late thirties of early forties, are going to be half deaf because they constantly jam their ears with ear pods/buds or wear headphones.

Then again, there are some people at my work that don't wear ear plugs (it's a noisy environment), but instead they wear air pods because (I'm told) they work good for noise reduction. Then when I walk up to these people to talk and I have ear plugs in, I can still hear their music going because they have it so loud.

I don't support these types of devices and I hate the fact that my kids are, required by their schools, to have air pods or some kind of ear buds so they can stream and listen to crap on their school provided iPads. WTF? Can't a teacher put a video up on the projection device or TV and kids can take notes these days? Why do the kids need to constantly have listening devices jammed into their ears?

I agree! If I had it to do all over again, and I was 30 years younger, I'd be an "ear doctor"...
I'd rather have a pair of over the ear Sennheiser headphones, with the yellow cushions, like I used back in the 80's that these ear plugs of today.

I agree! If I had it to do all over again, and I was 30 years younger, I'd be an "ear doctor"...
I'd rather have a pair of over the ear Sennheiser headphones, with the yellow cushions, like I used back in the 80's that these ear plugs of today.

My late teens and early twenties nieces and nephews are buying airpods, I guess they will have partial hearing by the time they reach their forties.

Those stems always looked ridiculous. I bought two pairs of $30CAD truly wireless JLAB's last week. Love em.

I agree there is no point in spending hundreds of dollars for expensive wireless earbuds. I got a pair for Jlab wireless earbuds a few months back, they are great.

I bought a set of the 3rd gen airpods. I own an iPhone, Apple Watch and an Apple TV (purchased since I got the airpods) and I have previously used Sony bluetooth over ear headphones and a set of bluetooth earbuds that I got from Amazon.

I use the airpods ALOT. I can put one in and instantly continue the conversation while I do other tasks. There is no delay in most cases - they just switch instantly. Driving home chatting to a relative - audio is over the car bluetooth. Getting out of the car to open the front door while getting bags etc out - you can't do that one handed holding your phone - pop an airpod in and thats it. Instant continuation of conversation while I get everything indoors. The sound is also better than the other sets I own and the spacial audio I thought was a gimmick is actually awesome. It works with the Apple TV and makes it sound like you are sat in an auditorium. You move your head and it tracks, as if you are sat in an auditorium.

The main issue I have now is that I know how good they are and I will never NOT own a pair of airpods. They are awesome. Best piece of tech I have bought in a long time.

Last edited:
I dont know is it just me, the new generation of iPods seems to be crappy design wise. They seem to be weird and incomplete when compared to the older version. This is just my point of view.

My audiologist recommended AirPod Pro as an alternative to hearing aids. The accessibility features can enhance voices and/or muffle ambient noise, making it slightly easier to hear the vocal range in an echoing meeting room. Works pretty well and saved me $2000. I don’t use them for music, but they sound about as good as Philips hearing aids but very bulky and stupid looking.

Back