Apple rumored to launch no less than four M2-based Macs in 2022

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: While many Apple fans continue to dream about Face ID on Macs, the company is preparing to introduce refreshed MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models powered by an M2 chip. A new Mac mini and 24-inch iMac are also in the pipeline, but they’ll most likely show up towards the end of this year.

Apple is expected to introduce a few new Macs this year powered by a next-generation “M2” chipset, including a refreshed MacBook Air model, a new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro, a new Mac mini, and a 24-inch iMac.

According to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, the Cupertino giant is planning to hold a virtual event on Tuesday, March 8, revealing at least one of the new Macs alongside new iPad Air and iPhone SE models that will sport an A15 chipset and support for 5G connectivity.

The upcoming MacBook Air will inherit some of the new features introduced last year with the M1 Pro and M1 Max-based MacBook Pro models, such as a miniLED display (without support for ProMotion), a MagSafe charging port, and a 1080p webcam. It’s also widely expected to be available in the same range of colors as the M1-powered iMac.

The refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro model will supposedly lose the Touch Bar, a move that would mark the end of another failed experiment in MacBook design. While an M2 chip will likely power this model, it won’t have a miniLED display or support for ProMotion technology. Gurman also expects a compromise on storage capacity, so you may still see a 256-gigabyte option.

Meanwhile, the 512-gigabyte, M1-based 13-inch MacBook Pro is available for $1,199.99 at Amazon, which is $350 off the regular price.

Permalink to story.

$1550 for a 512GB 60Hz 13" Macbook in 2022? Did I read that right?
What a SCAM. So lazy!

$3T company...
120Hz in a phone, but 60Hz in a base model 2022 model Macbook "PRO"

That's all kinds of NO! And a scam!

$1550 for a 512GB 60Hz 13" Macbook in 2022? Did I read that right?
What a SCAM. So lazy!

$3T company...
120Hz in a phone, but 60Hz in a base model 2022 model Macbook "PRO"

That's all kinds of NO! And a scam!
I would take that Apple screen at 60hz every time over practically any windows laptop screen at that price. Apple are still the only company to colour calibrate the screen in the factory. Currently Apples screens absolutely destroy the competition on everything except refresh rate. I’m sure that gamers are not happy but if you’re an fps gamer and you buy a MacBook you’re already doing it wrong..

BTW, it’s not a scam, the word you are looking for is “ripoff”. A scam would be dishonest. Here Apple are straight up telling us the specs..

I've heard that's because they aren't burdened with the legacy support.
All is fine and good with me as long as our share values rise.
I couldn’t say why, that sounds about right.
But these two images demonstrate how the M1 really is the classic example of a disruptive technology.
D3241B52-531F-4841-B0DD-B858910A6213.png
1820E7E1-5559-498F-9998-AAC8F10704DA.gif

Competition is great - but unless Apple promote gaming - I can't see massive YOY growth .
Yes well off people will buy an Imac to do WORDLE and facebook . Business use may grow ( I don't know ) .
My take is unless Apple lever these improvements in the next 2 years - they will be nearly matched by PC & Android devices .

Still Google is a seriously stupid company sometimes - with the business sense of a bored child outside of Cloud/Advertising

Microsoft stuffed up big time on it's mobile platforms .

If seems Google now wants to take it's Chromebook and Tablet more serious - Well they need to make serious promises and investments for folks to believe them ( hundreds of billions of revenue left on the table from stupidity )

As for Microsoft - they need to mimic this as much as possible - as gaming becomes more platform agnostic .

Plus I still think a lot more can be done building communities on their platforms - none seen to be really good at moment .

Anyway this decade is shaping up to see some great tech coming forward - a bit like the original Iphone - it could only just work at the time - now all those synergies etc are making better and new products that were promised or envisioned . The M2 couldn't of happened too much earlier without the Fabs etc and software advances , better ram blah blah

Funny how this story preceded at least 2 other stories related to the chip shortage: Almost as if a delicate balance always rested on the shoulder of the biggest company in tech using intel for a substantial part of their manufacturing and then rethinking that strategy thanks to the 14nm chasm they were stuck in.

It's sad that only now we're seeing a huge delayed result.

I would take that Apple screen at 60hz every time over practically any windows laptop screen at that price. Apple are still the only company to colour calibrate the screen in the factory. Currently Apples screens absolutely destroy the competition on everything except refresh rate. I’m sure that gamers are not happy but if you’re an fps gamer and you buy a MacBook you’re already doing it wrong..

BTW, it’s not a scam, the word you are looking for is “ripoff”. A scam would be dishonest. Here Apple are straight up telling us the specs..
I couldn’t say why, that sounds about right.
But these two images demonstrate how the M1 really is the classic example of a disruptive technology.
View attachment 88158
View attachment 88159

Impressive from Apple, but that Intel curve will take a huge kick up with Alder Lake and the even greater improvements coming over the next 1-5 years. And let's see AMD's curve too.

Turning the screw. The gen on gen performance increases of Apples CPUs are the stuff that Intel and AMD can only dream of.
If only they passed the savings of designing their own CPU's to the customer and if only they upgraded their devices on a regular schedule so people wouldn't buy a new computer at full price only to have a new gen or upgrade come out three months later. 12th gen Intel CPU's was a good jump in performance.

Sure man. And at the same time you can heat your room in the winter.
That's just hyperbole Apple's performance CPU's also produce plenty of heat at full load just like Intel's do. Apple's CPU powered laptops are more efficient, but they aren't as powerful for every task.

Turning the screw. The gen on gen performance increases of Apples CPUs are the stuff that Intel and AMD can only dream of.
Apple's M1 delivered a shock to the chip world with its success. The ARM based chip turns out stellar performance despite the many years we see Qualcomm trying and failing. However, I am skeptical that M2 is going to bring the same level of shock to the industry. If I look at the existing A15 vs A14 performance uplift, I believe the CPU improvement is very muted. The main difference is in the GPU which the A15 have more cores if I did not recollect wrongly. So if the M2 is going to be based on what we see on A15, then you kind of have an expectation of the CPU improvement, unless Apple increases the core count and frequency.

Apple's M1 delivered a shock to the chip world with its success. The ARM based chip turns out stellar performance despite the many years we see Qualcomm trying and failing. However, I am skeptical that M2 is going to bring the same level of shock to the industry. If I look at the existing A15 vs A14 performance uplift, I believe the CPU improvement is very muted. The main difference is in the GPU which the A15 have more cores if I did not recollect wrongly. So if the M2 is going to be based on what we see on A15, then you kind of have an expectation of the CPU improvement, unless Apple increases the core count and frequency.
Once again, M1 is SOC, not CPU. Comparing CPU's against SOC is typical Apples vs oranges comparison.

That's just hyperbole Apple's performance CPU's also produce plenty of heat at full load just like Intel's do. Apple's CPU powered laptops are more efficient, but they aren't as powerful for every task.
But Apple's M1 chips don't need liquid cooling like my 8700K does when I give it anything close to a full load.

I was doing some heavy data compression today and I could just feel the heat coming from the back of my radiator.

Back