Apple Studio Display with 7K resolution reportedly in development

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Apple is reportedly working on a new external monitor with a 7K resolution. A 7K monitor with a 32-inch screen would have a higher pixel density than Apple's existing Pro Display XDR, but Apple could also bump up the size to 36 inches to maintain a pixel density closer to that of the Pro Display XDR.

Sources familiar with the matter told 9to5Mac that the “Apple Studio Display” will sport a higher resolution than Apple’s Pro Display XDR, the 32-inch 6K (6,016 × 3,384 pixels, 218 PPI) resolution display that launched in late 2019.

9to5Mac last summer reported that Apple was working on a display codenamed J327 that would feature an integrated A13 Bionic processor. The chip could help connected Macs handle high-resolution graphics without taxing the computer’s main CPU, or enable smart features such as AirPlay.

Sources say the model discussed in the latest report is the same as last year’s J327.

We don’t yet know when Apple plans to unveil its new monitor. Earlier this week, the iPhone maker announced it will host a media event on March 8 where many believe we’ll see the introduction of a third-gen iPhone SE with 5G connectivity. A new MacBook Air could also be in the cards. Others believe an updated Mac mini with an M1X processor is expected any day now.

Apple's "Peek performance" virtual event is set for March 8 at 10 a.m. Pacific and can be streamed via Apple's website or on the Apple TV app.

Image credit Aaditya Ailawadhi, Simon Hrozian

Permalink to story.

For 32" 4K or possibly 5K is more than sufficient. At 7K you will have to run 200% scaling unless you like 3 point fonts.
I have very few good things to say about Apple but they do a good job with GUI scaling. To me, 32" 7k is kind of pointless but at the price point they ask for these things they are aimed at professionals and maybe they have a use for them I can't think of.

7K resolution for 32" monitor is just flat out stupid. Even 4K resolution at that size is a bit iffy. And of course Apple will charge an arm and a leg and both of your nuts for this monstrosity.

I am using my 55' 4k OLED at 1440p. Sure 4K looks a bit better but at 1440p I can run almost everything at 120HZ and in modern titles with all those filters you need to pay close attention to tell the difference.

I really don't understand why they pushed 4K so hard in the first place. 1440p has lower hardware and network requirements and it is a very nice upgrade from FHD, while the differences from 1440p to 4K are barely worth it.

And now 5k? 8k? Makes no sense to me. Seems to be all marketing.

I am using my 55' 4k OLED at 1440p. Sure 4K looks a bit better but at 1440p I can run almost everything at 120HZ and in modern titles with all those filters you need to pay close attention to tell the difference.

I really don't understand why they pushed 4K so hard in the first place. 1440p has lower hardware and network requirements and it is a very nice upgrade from FHD, while the differences from 1440p to 4K are barely worth it.

And now 5k? 8k? Makes no sense to me. Seems to be all marketing.

This is an Apple monitor.

Apple = Not for games.

These are content creation screens and more pixels means seeing more of your content.

This is an Apple monitor.

Apple = Not for games.

These are content creation screens and more pixels means seeing more of your content.
You must be standing really really close to a 32" inch screen for 4k to make a difference. For 5k it will be even worse.

You must be standing really really close to a 32" inch screen for 4k to make a difference. For 5k it will be even worse.

I game with a 32" 1440p and I don't want anything more, though for text reproduction 4K is noticeably better at that size.

However for video production, the 32" 6K that Apple currently sells just allows the creator to have more tools on the screen vs a 27" 5K (2880p) while viewing a 4K clip at full 1:1 res. One assumes that 7K gives just that bit more space. I don't have the $ or interest in video production, but I wonder whether this will be a 34" screen as Apple seems to be targeting relatively consistent DPI recently.

So this is obviously for creative professionals. 7K seems a little high res but tbh I’d need to view the screen working with Apples software to be able to say if it’s either useful or a waste of pixels.

Personally I don’t see the problem with having too many pixels on Apples OS. It scales well and this solution isn’t for gaming on, which is the only situation I think of that you might want to be at a lower res as you get more performance.

Back