TechSpot

Apple to repair shattered iPhone 5 screens with new in-store service

By David Tom
Jun 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Those who have been haunted by a shattered iPhone 5 screen will no longer have to peer through a network of cracks as they browse through music or play the latest version of Angry Birds. Although display repairs were previously...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,360   +809

If that's the case, what's the use of AppleCare then? Probably just another way of squeezing the naive customer some more.
    I'm sure glad I don't support them.

m4a4 likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,065   +919

Nothing is simple in Apple lol.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,528   +324

I wonder if this will make its way over to the UK?

5. "Quarter of iPhones have a broken screen, says new poll" This is funny. Just means squeezing more money out of Apple consumers.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,360   +809

Their products are fine, it's the company itself I find despicable.

Zoltan Head likes this.
  7. 122jimbo

122jimbo TS Rookie

Watch them make the screens less durable so it cracks and they have to pay for it to be repaired. Which they probably already do that.

8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,476   +624

I started reading your sentence and thought, "what are you talking about, they already do that".

iPhone 4S didn't have gorrila glass. Don't know about 5, but my 4S is pretty damn scratched.

9. JC713

Probably will.

10. JC713

My 5 does scratch at all. I wonder if Apple uses Gorilla Glass but doesnt advertise it.

11. Amillennialist

Amillennialist TS Rookie

$150? How absurd.

I bought a new digitizer/LCD screen kit through Amazon for less than $18 (including shipping) and made a shattered iPod new again by myself, first time. (How-to videos are available on YouTube.)

12. $150 without being covered by Apple Care warranty is a sweet deal. Our company purchases back the broken LCD from repair shops around the USA and this is really going to be stiff competition. There isn't anyone offering iPhone 5 LCD replacement for under $150 in any retail repair shop around the US. Their all between $160-$200. In the past Apple's repair prices haven't seemed like a business model they wanted to focus on. I'm left scratching my head at what this could mean for their future plans to compete with the boom of iPhone repair shops. I suppose it might not be as big of a deal since there are only so many Apple Genius Bar locations nationwide.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.