Apple updates iPod lineup, nano gets video camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

As expected, Apple unveiled new iPod models across the board today which bring added functionality and lower prices. A recovered Steve Jobs took the stage for the first time in almost a year to announce that over 225 million iPods have been sold since its introduction in 2001, with the iPod touch representing 20 million of that number and contributing to an overwhelming 74% market share.

Starting at the high end, Apple touted an update to the iPod touch line that will see it packing the same processing platform as the recently introduced iPhone 3GS -- meaning they now support improved graphics with Open GL ES 2.0. This is true for both the 32 and new 64GB models, priced at $299 and $399 respectively, while the last-gen 8GB iPod touch will remain available for just $199. There doesn't appear to be a built-in camera, however, contrary to all the rumors.

Moving on the iPod classic was updated with a 160GB HDD but kept its $249 price tag. On the other end of the spectrum, the shuffles are now at $59 for 2GB, $79 for 4GB and come in black, silver, pink, green and blue. There's also a polished aluminum 4GB version for $99.

Last but not least, Apple's iPod nano got a revamp and is now available in capacities up to 16GB. Its design remains mostly unchanged from the previous model, if not for the larger 2.2-inch display, but gains a built-in camera and mic for recording 640 by 480 pixels, 30 FPS video -- apparently it does not take still photos. After years of dismissing the feature, Apple has also added an FM radio tuner to the nano, as well as pedometer and voice over functionality. The 8GB iPod nano is priced at $149 while the 16GB model goes for $179.

Permalink to story.

Ouch, that makes me feel really bad about paying 300$ for my 8 gig iPod Touch less than a year and a half ago.

They've only sold 225 million iPods? You could have said twice or three times that and I would have actually believed it. I'm not trying to downplay the number, its just kinda shocking is all.
I don't get the idea of a video camera only, honestly that kinda becomes a deal breaker. I'd just get a used one for dirt cheap that has no camera whatsoever.

wow that's f%ckin weak as sh%t the zune hd crushes the new ipod lineup in terms of functionality and it's the same price. but that won't bother all the sycophant apple customers they will gladly shell out hundreds of dollars for this bullshit.

wow that's f%ckin weak as sh%t the zune hd crushes the new ipod lineup in terms of functionality and it's the same price. but that won't bother all the sycophant apple customers they will gladly shell out hundreds of dollars for this bullshit.
no doubt about that.

Sports announcer voice, "Apple's new lineup is stepping up to the plate. The pitcher is sizing up the iPods. Here's the pitch. The Apple iPod lineup swing and a miss! That's strike three, and the crowd has left the stadium. So sorry Apple. Maybe next time fans."

I'm so disappointed in the new touch.... No camera, only 64gigs, and all they did was update to Open GL ES 2.0? It's like they ignored everything the customer's asked for and gave them the finger. Why the hell does the nano need a camera? Something that really surprises me is the lack of a 16GB model. Why would they even keep the 8GB?

I would not go so far as to cal the iPod Touch weak. Even though the Zune has superior hardware, the iPod Touch has the App Store, which, in my opinion, makes it better than a Zune any day. Microsoft's app store for the Zune HD will probably be nowhere near the scale of Apple's.

And you really do not need to be an Apple fanboy to buy this. Personally, I do not like mac computers at all, except the mac pro, but who does not like 8 core goodness? :D

I had buy a ipod 3rd.
The <a href=http://www.trademic.com/ipod_1__.htm>ipod</a> 3rd has not camera .
But I like it all the same.
It's so beautiful !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back