Apple wants $3 billion in damages as Samsung targets iPhone 5

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Multiple legal experts predicted Apple wasn’t prepared to simply walk away from their legal battle with rival Samsung after winning a $1 billion+ judgment last month. It seems those experts were right on the money as The Korea Times is reporting Apple plans to ask US District Judge Lucy Koh for even more money during a hearing tomorrow in San Jose.

Cupertino will allegedly seek to triple the original amount awarded to them by the jury with hopes to collect roughly $3 billion in damages. The basis for Apple’s complaint lies on the fact that Samsung was found guilty of “willful infringement” on five of six patents that were part of the dispute.

As Robert Barr from the Center for Law and Technology at the University of California, Berkeley pointed out when the first ruling was handed down, $1 billion is an extremely favorable and rare award in a patent case. If Apple were to collect an additional $2 billion, it could likely be one of the biggest patent judgments in history. It’ll be up to the judge to decide if she feels Samsung should pay more in damages.

In related news, Samsung is planning to add the iPhone 5 to a list of devices they believe infringe on their patents. The company noted in a court filing that they plan to amend their infringement complaint once they have had adequate time to analyze the iPhone 5. No word yet on exactly how long that process will take but we suspect Samsung will get busy on their analysis bright and early tomorrow morning.

Permalink to story.

And here it is: the definitive proof that Apple doesn't give a damn about any imagined "infringement". Their goal has always been to freeze any serious competitor out of the market. I look forward to them getting their comeuppance.

Further proof that Apple have a stick so far up their .... that if they sat to eat supper,they wouldn't be able to swallow.

I am going to sue Apple for billions because I thought some 15 years ago, we'd be talking on mobile phones that look just like theirs.

Seriosuly though. I would love to see (and why hasn't it happened yet?!) some old PDA company like say, HP with their iPaqs (which had the 'I' before Apple did) sue them for putting an OS onto a phone, emulating a PDA.

80% of the materials that conform all of Apple devices are made by Samsung, many years ago my dad told me something that still works to this day.. you shouldn't piss off the people that feed you, they may stop doing it!

LOL I love how only the anonymous 'guest' is on the side of apple.. Apple is fast becoming the brand that many people have, but are ashamed of having or don't want you to know they have it.

80% of the materials that conform all of Apple devices are made by Samsung, many years ago my dad told me something that still works to this day.. you shouldn't piss off the people that feed you, they may stop doing it!

Big problem with that is there will be a contract to supply if Samsung stopped Apple would just sue them :D

I have a 4s. I am not ashamed that I bought one. As I've stated in previous posts, it was $50 cheaper than the GS2 and $50 was a lot of money to me a year ago. I've never liked the company. I just thought the phone was easy to use. I do wish I had an S3 though.

While that is definitely valid in life, it isn't the case here. Samsung would take a hit in the billions of Dollars if they stopped supplying Apple with chips and memory. It isn't going to happen, and Apple knows that. Samsung cannot afford to do it anyhow, it would turn their profits upside down.

Besides which, Samsung is earning money from the SoC's and memory on every iPhone sold, as well as having the single best-selling Android handset in direct competition with Apple's device. That's without considering the comany's leading position in the phone market in general. The court problems aside, its quite a pretty position to be in.

I can see this 'infringement' is an attempt to 'monopoly' the market through 'kill' the competitor :eek:

Curious.. knowing how much iphone users can be blinkered/brainwashed...Does Judge Koh have an iphone ? Seems rather odd that anywhere else Apple tried to sue Samsung they got nowhere apart from in the 'good ol U.S of A.. conspiracy? charity begins at home my dad used to say maybe there is a similar thing going on with American companies.. Personally I am a big fan of Samsung products. I have everything from computer parts to a washing machine and always found their products excellent... Loving my Galaxy S3 .. even the iphone 5 seems old hat compared to it.. oh I know lets be really inventive...lets stretch the screen and add mystery tour sat nav ..that would put me off big time.. Get a grip Apple or changs the company name to sour grapes.. stop trying to punish inventive companies, not everyone , likes or indeed wants Apple products

I can just see China suing Apple..."You're honor, we only ask a mere pittance for all the pain and suffering and physiological damages that the Chinese people have suffered at the hands of Apple a mere $20...per citizen of China!"

While that is definitely valid in life, it isn't the case here. Samsung would take a hit in the billions of Dollars if they stopped supplying Apple with chips and memory. It isn't going to happen, and Apple knows that. Samsung cannot afford to do it anyhow, it would turn their profits upside down.

Besides which, Samsung is earning money from the SoC's and memory on every iPhone sold, as well as having the single best-selling Android handset in direct competition with Apple's device. That's without considering the comany's leading position in the phone market in general. The court problems aside, its quite a pretty position to be in.

^ This. It is a pretty position to be in and probably drives Apple crazy to watch their competitor make money no matter what phone someone buys.

Ive seen how the i5 looks. I swear it looks like the SIII. Now is Samsung going to sue Apple now. This tit for tat has gone far beyond anything realistic. Its like two three year olds slapping each other. When are these two going to learn to play together. Eventually ppl will get so tired of these cases that they will just stop buying the products. Im pretty close myself to never buying another CrApple product ever again. Yes I am only a single consumer. But all it takes is a single individual to decide to NOT buy that new iwhatever to cause Apple discomfort.

A bit of patent and copyright reform would go a long way to diverting these companies' resources back into improving their engineering and coming up with new projects. But that would put lawyers out of work and since politicians are just lawyers wrapped in cheap slogans, selling favorable laws to corporate lawyers, that won't happen. It's like asking for actual, fair tax reform that doesn't favor the rich. Never happen.

Something I just copied and pasted from Forbes -
"The estimation of the iPhone’s effect on the U.S. economy comes from the JP Morgan report that said the phone should increase GDP by 0.3% on an annualised basis."

Maybe this has something to do with why the US was the only place they could win the case.

I think even Samsung themselves forget sometimes they manufacturer most of south Korea's military tech as well. One day some cheeky apple bigwig is going to get exploded.

Apple has a lot of nerve...they have stolen from so many companies and inventors to get where they are. The amiga platform blew away apple back in the 80s then suddenly the apple os felt alot like using an amiga. I am thrilled with my samsung epic which has been so much better than what apple had now my 8.9 tablet rocks without robbing me blind. Hope owners of new iphone enjoy paying for all new docking periphials only made by apple.

I also agree with the notion that PDA improvement are now being added to the smartphones. I have a Palm T3 that I still use and all the kids who see it are saying they wish there smartphone did that. I still have the T3 Palm on my side everyday as it does things no smart phone does yet.
6 years ago I had a mp3 player, voice recorder, ebook reader, note pad, with this pda t3. Way ahead of its time.

Funny thing is that someone who worked really hard could sue apple for violating the common GNU agreement by selling a community build Linux. I can not wait to see that happen, the losses would include almost every computer sold by apple, since it all stemmed back from the original case of the GNU violation.

Samsung would take a hit in the billions of Dollars if they stopped supplying Apple with chips and memory. It isn't going to happen, and Apple knows that. Samsung cannot afford to do it anyhow, it would turn their profits upside down.

One other thing re: Samsung's profits...

Samsung comprises two major divisions: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=3828

The revenues from each division are totally separate from the other, as are the contracts. The parent company can't simply say, "We're gonna stop dealing with Apple, because they beat us in court."

Back