Apple's iOS 4.2 causes iPhone music to disappear, fix inside

Emil

Staff

Apple yesterday released iOS 4.2, bringing many improvements to the popular mobile operating system. Unfortunately, some users found that updating their iPhone to the latest software version caused their iPhone music to disappear, according to AppleInsider.

Users on the Apple Discussions forums have found that the music was not erased, but simply needs to be re-synced. This method reportedly fixes the issue in question:

1. Connect your iOS device to your Mac or PC and open iTunes.
  2. Select your device from the left column.
  3. Underneath your device in the left column, select "music" and play a song.
  4. Click "Sync" in iTunes to re-sync your music library.
  5. Open iPod.app on your iOS device and wait a moment while your library is repopulated.

Apart from this bug, the 624.3MB update for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, is worth the hassle. It delivers new applications, performance improvements, and security fixes. Apple has added AirPlay, for streaming media from your portable device to a compatible TV or speakers, AirPrint, for printing content wirelessly (only works with select HP printers at the moment), and the Game Center, which lets you play social multiplayer games. On the iPad, the update also adds multitasking and folders.

The latest software update was released as iOS 4.2, but is technically iOS 4.2.1. Version 4.2 beta was released to developers earlier this month, but Wi-Fi connectivity issues forced Apple to build a second golden master before public release.

Permalink to story.

Wow. That's not even funny, it's pathetic. You would think that a company specializing in PORTABLE MEDIA would make sure that the media stays on the god damn device.

princeton said:
Wow. That's not even funny, it's pathetic. You would think that a company specializing in PORTABLE MEDIA would make sure that the media stays on the god damn device.

Remember, this is Apple we're talking about here, lol.

This makes me think "are they really testing the firmwares before sending them down to everyone?" come on, this is something so obvious anyone could've found out easy... hope it doesn't happen again...

Yup happened to me. Did not realize till I had left the house for a two hour workout. Had to do the workout without music. To say the least I was pissed. Out of all the problems you can expect with an upgrade I did not think this would be one.

Hehe - happened to my iPhone 3G. Didn't realise until already on the train this morning, and all the media incl Audiobooks were gone.
Facebook & streaming Foxtel kept me entertained all the way to work, and likely going home again tonight. Will have to try below fix this evening.

I spent 3 months of evenings transferring my large CD collection to itunes for an ipod classic. Backed up the "library" after of course. I lost half the library. itunes could not find the track even though it was listed. The cause is obvious and there is no solution from Apple. They have a reference file which you can not access or backup holding the title etc information and pointers to the tracks in the itunes library. The pointers refer to the Windows drive letter specifically not the name of the disc. When discs are moved about on a hub say the drive letters change and the track can not be found. They show a dreaded ! to indicate this. This is a classic software engineering bug that I would not expect Apple to have made. How many other people have had this problem??
As I say you can not backup the reference file that is built into itunes. I no longer use apple computers so I do not know whether this problem has ever existed on that platform, any feedback on that?
As for a fix I gave up and imported by backup (120gb) to itunes. The library is now disorganised and all my playlists which are essential and extensive have been lost. Thank you Apple ! Has anyone else had this problem and did you had more success recovering from it and if so how please? Thank you for getting this far.

smaddrell said:
I spent 3 months of evenings transferring my large CD collection to itunes for an ipod classic. Backed up the "library" after of course. I lost half the library. itunes could not find the track even though it was listed. The cause is obvious and there is no solution from Apple. They have a reference file which you can not access or backup holding the title etc information and pointers to the tracks in the itunes library. The pointers refer to the Windows drive letter specifically not the name of the disc. When discs are moved about on a hub say the drive letters change and the track can not be found. They show a dreaded ! to indicate this. This is a classic software engineering bug that I would not expect Apple to have made. How many other people have had this problem??
As I say you can not backup the reference file that is built into itunes. I no longer use apple computers so I do not know whether this problem has ever existed on that platform, any feedback on that?
As for a fix I gave up and imported by backup (120gb) to itunes. The library is now disorganised and all my playlists which are essential and extensive have been lost. Thank you Apple ! Has anyone else had this problem and did you had more success recovering from it and if so how please? Thank you for getting this far.

Well that makes complete sense?

iTunes is one big database that links the music listed in iTunes to a music or Video file stored somewhere on your computer or where ever you have chosen to store your music?

The moment you change the Drive Letter or storage place of the files the database is no longer correct and therefore is unable to play the file?

Windows Media player does the same thing and so does Winamp?

Its not a flaw, Its how the system works.

Also have you tried backing up the library using the inbuilt iTunes backup facility? It then also backs up the Database and therefore if it ever goes wrong you can just "Import Library from backup" and this way you don't come accross this problem?

Its been there for years now.

Thanks for that but two wrongs do not make a right! It is quite simple to identify a hard disc by its id rather than drive letters which can obviously change if they are on a hub. Or does Apple expect the itunes library to always be on the C: drive which never changes? Is this as you stay long term unfixed Apple bug present on the Apple operating system? I expect not, I wonder why .... ! Thank you Mr Jobs - one reason for people to buy Apple I guess or not!

As for the backup restore. After many attempts I decided to create a new itunes library and and import everything back from the itunes media folder directory. All the tracks are there but no playlists. My ipod still has all the play lists which I will loose if I sync which obviously I want to do. Does anyone know how to to move the play lists from an ipod back to the itunes library on the PC? The ipod directory structure looks interesting.

Thanks for listening ....

smaddrell said:
Thanks for that but two wrongs do not make a right! It is quite simple to identify a hard disc by its id rather than drive letters which can obviously change if they are on a hub. Or does Apple expect the itunes library to always be on the C: drive which never changes? Is this as you stay long term unfixed Apple bug present on the Apple operating system? I expect not, I wonder why .... ! Thank you Mr Jobs - one reason for people to buy Apple I guess or not!

As for the backup restore. After many attempts I decided to create a new itunes library and and import everything back from the itunes media folder directory. All the tracks are there but no playlists. My ipod still has all the play lists which I will loose if I sync which obviously I want to do. Does anyone know how to to move the play lists from an ipod back to the itunes library on the PC? The ipod directory structure looks interesting.

Thanks for listening ....

No Idea about the Playlist thing.

But you can't put it on Apple and its not a bug, Windows Media Player does the same thing!
Its just how it was designed, crap from the begining? maybe.

Anyway iTunes is set as default to the C:\ drive and to your Music area. This can be changed in the Advanced menu.

iTunes should Ideally be setup as follows:-

C:\ drive holds Windows and iTunes program. (Fast drive like an SSD)

D:\ drive is a huge drive for documents and then re-route all documents to this. (WD Green 2TB)

Then in iTunes also set it to point to this drive.

Now use the iTunes backup facility to make backups on external hard drives or NAS Devices.

If done like this you can make daily backups and then restore if any problem arrises.

Of course, this can be the same done on the C:\ drive as well.

Also to note this is also the same on Macs, just tested it on my bros Mac book Pro.

Thanks Burty, glad to see we are both singing from the same hymn sheet. Yes the playlists will have to be laboriously reentered ouch, but they will be better next time ! Thank goodness for Spotify.com walks all over itunes, playlists. They are always where you want them and they don't dissapear 8 million free recordings accessible just like that MAGIC !! Hooked up to some Cyrus kit and Kef Concerto home made speakers it rocks ... Now do I need an Arcam rDAC ? Of course I do ;)

But .. Sorry if this is not a bug what is it a PC crippler ? Jobs is a clever cookie a Flash person or not.

I have 4 usb2 external drives one with the itunes library on 2 different hubs, watching which drive letter is assigned to each disc on bootup and reserving drive letters should not be an issue or "bug" ;)

smaddrell said:
Thanks Burty, glad to see we are both singing from the same hymn sheet. Yes the playlists will have to be laboriously reentered ouch, but they will be better next time ! Thank goodness for Spotify.com walks all over itunes, playlists. They are always where you want them and they don't dissapear 8 million free recordings accessible just like that MAGIC !! Hooked up to some Cyrus kit and Kef Concerto home made speakers it rocks ... Now do I need an Arcam rDAC ? Of course I do ;)

But .. Sorry if this is not a bug what is it a PC crippler ? Jobs is a clever cookie a Flash person or not.

I have 4 usb2 external drives one with the itunes library on 2 different hubs, watching which drive letter is assigned to each disc on bootup and reserving drive letters should not be an issue or "bug" ;)

No Problem! :)

Yeah, I agree it shouldn't be an issue, but thats more of a Windows issue, I mean, Microsoft don't exactly make it easy to see how to reserve a drive letter for an external drive any who.

Yeah Spotify is useful at times, Just wish some of the music was of slightly higher quality :(

They are upgrading their 8,000,000 tunes library to higher quality. I am not a spotify salesperson just a satisfied user whereas itunes i feel is an old legacy has been ...

Back