Applications (.exe) will not run on Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4ghg

I removed a virus from my system and now certain application (.exe) files will not run. I get a dialog box that says "Windows cannot open this file: FILEname.exe To open file Windows needs to know what create it. Any help would be appreciated. Ronnie

It looks as if the virus deleted all file associations in the registry. I don't know of a simple way to fix that. A reinstall or repair of Windows should do it. Look up 'Windows Repair install' for instructions. You need a full install CD to do it. Your other option would be a system restore to before the infection, if you have any idea when it happened, and have restores available that far back. Failing any idea how far back to go, just restore whatever you have, to as early as you have.

Thanks, using the Windows repair option as a last resort. I tried the restore but the program will not run. I think its something related to a Window's program that runos other files (i.e., cmd or rundll) or something in the directory other than the exefile or .exe (tryied that fix several times without luck.(. Thanks Ronnie

Download and Run exeHelper.

* Please download exeHelper from Raktor to your desktop.
* Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
* A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
* A log file named log.txt will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com
* Attach the log.txt file to your next message.[/LIST]

Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

P. S. I'd also start a new topic in our malware section to make sure, your computer is 100% clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back