• dx10

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • dx11

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

myrmidonks

This is more of me wanting to hear some opinions on the value of dx11 in today's market.

There are currently very few games which incorporate dx11 specific features such as tessellation. I realize that this is a nice feature to have, and can improve the quality (that's what I've been told) of the game. However, there are many games without dx11 that have great if not incredible graphics (e.g. crysis). Seeing as games with dx11 do not necessarily contain "better graphics" than dx10/9 games, why would one want to spend the extra money for a dx11 capable GPU? Supposing you have a high end ATI 4000 series GPU (maybe 4890, or 4870 x2), what reason would there be to upgrade to a comparable 5000 series card? Aside from details such as power consumption, noise levels, and temperature, I can't think of a purely performance based reason to upgrade. Looking forward to your opinions!

Yes there are very few titles out there which has been developed for DX11 from ground up. However, DX10 is pretty much heading for the history bin, it may be ok to have DX10 card today but in a year's time I am unsure you'd be happy with your decision. Whereas, a DX11 card (especially if its a decent higher mid-range/of high end solution) should serve you well for at least 18-24 months period (may be more depending upon what you use it for). Regards

As it stands DX11 at the moment can offer better frame rates than DX10 and better eye candy than most DX9 games. What DX11 doesn't offer to any great extent at present is a markedly different gameplay experience regarding tesselation.
Until GPU architecture can comprehensively take advantage of high levels of tesselation then it remain a checkbox in the graphical settings of most games- an add-in rather than an intrinsic component, which will limit it's use in some instances to the point where we are now, i.e. needing identical comparison screenshots and a degree in forensic science or a jewellers loupe to ascertain whether it is used at all.
A DX11 capable card at present basically represents a convenient marker that denotes the present series of cards from the predecessors, and what the present series (and their next iterations) offer is better performance with a lower penalty hit when selecting graphical levels that do make a tangible difference to gameplay "feel", specifically higher levels of anti-aliasing, ambient occulsion and their like.

imo if u have a 4890 or 4870 x2 then wait till 2011 to upgrade and u will be happier than throwing out a great card for what like 3 games that have dx 11? but yes dx 10 and 9 are way on there way out but still look great imo.

It's just about how well you want your card to fare with the passage of time. If you don't mind replacing it when DX11 becomes standard, sure get a high end 4 series card now. But if you want a card with a future, get a DX11 compatible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back