Are you interested in Martial Arts...Which one then?

Which Martial Art are you interested in?

• Shaolin Kung Fu, Tai Chi

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Karate

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tae Kwon Do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aikido

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Hapkido

• Jujitsu

• Judo

• Kendo

• Pencak Silat and Kung Tao Silat

• None

• Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

young&wild

Just want to know if you guys are interested in getting some knowlege regarding the philosphy, history and etc behind any forms of Martial Arts or even interested it practising it?

When I was a kid I was quite fascinated by the martial arts and studied its philosphy and history quite a bit. interesting stuff.

my view is that they are most benefical for excercise and mental discipline and hand, eye cordination. for actual physical combat I would say that akido, juijitsu, and judo offer more useful training for real life. the least practical or workable in real life combat are the forms that emphasise the use of the legs over hands and high kicks. (anything above the knee level)

Last year I studied Karate and managed to walk away with a red belt. I still keep my hand - eye and foot - eye coordination in good health. I also read a few of Bruce Lee's books on fighting and put some of the techniques in there to good use, and bought a punching bag. Jeet Kune Do is fantastic.

You should include an 'other' category.

Man, I never expected a thread like this to pop up :haha:

well it could have computer related aspects. say for in person intel vs. AMD or Nvidia vs. ATI debates.:D

or you just get fed up with your computer acting up and decide to do a spinning back kickon it.

Managed to get a brown belt with a black stripe in Aikido, which is right before black. I was going to keep going untill I reached black, but the dojo went bankrupt, so I never made it. Aikido taught me a lot of throwing techniques, how to use a sword and this stick made out of bamboo, but most important it taught me discipline. I would like to try Judo or maybe even Karate, they sound pretty cool.

Originally posted by Vehementi

Man, I never expected a thread like this to pop up :haha:

Oh, i forget about the "other" categpry as i was in a rush. Well, its not a suprised i think ofr other members for a thread like this to pop out. It suddenly came across my mind, that's all.

I did Judo as a kid, got to Orange belt before the local center stopped holding the classes. I don't think I learned enough discipline from those classes. I remember messing about one time and I can't remember if its James Bond or Bruce Lee that does something similar to what I did (think its Mr. Lee). My opponent in messing around bowed and in the film Lee hits his opponent and says "Never take your eyes off of your opponent, even when bowing"... Meaning to miss my mate as he bowed I went to kick towards his face and instead of stopping/missing I splattered his nose across his face :eek:

I've bought a few books on Tai Chi and wish to do classes for health and discipline. I've work though some of the basic sets for Tai Chi and what scared me most is that the warm up forms had me reasonably tired. Its all down to balance, muscular control and breathing. A lot more effort is required for this than you would think. The only thing putting me off of learning is that it takes a lifetime to get anywhere near perfection. Guess getting to a reasonable level of competence and teaching could result in an infinitely expanding class of pupils ;)

Originally posted by young&wild
Oh, i forget about the "other" categpry as i was in a rush. Well, its not a suprised i think ofr other members for a thread like this to pop out. It suddenly came across my mind, that's all.
I took the liberty of adding an "Other" catagory for you. Next time something like this happens just contact your local friendly moderator to take care of the issue :)

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I took the liberty of adding an "Other" catagory for you. Next time something like this happens just contact your local friendly moderator to take care of the issue :)

Thanks a lot for the help, SNGX1275.:grinthumb

Back