TechSpot

ARM CEO: We won't be beaten by Intel on efficiency

By Leeky
Jan 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Intel announced new partnerships and two new smartphones with Lenovo and Motorola Mobility in Las Vegas at the Consumer Electronics Show last week, as the processor giant put ARM on…

Read the whole story

2. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 981   +97

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure ARM designs and licenses their architecture out to others for them to make the (physical) chips.

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

I believe that is the case, though they do also produce chips as well, they mainly license them out to other vendors which in turn them them to hardware manufacturers for smartphones and tablets etc.

I don't believe this article calls that into question though?

4. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,922   +565

ARM isn't arsed, ha, but neither is Intel, taking over slowly but surely :)

5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

I think if Intel at some point in time is able to adopt a tick-tock like model for its mobile platform, ARM will surely start to get in to trouble, simply because they can't match Intel when it comes to available resources. Also the fact that Intel with its 'first' mobile SoC (at least during this round) has been able to get near to ARM is remarkable in itself, just imagine things when (in all probability) Intel will beat them to say 14nm in 2014, couple that with future development/addition of new features/power efficiency etc. and one can imagine how things can change. Being a fab-less entity makes you lean and nimble, but it also means you can't really dictate the development of more efficient chip-making processes, hence, IMO longer term advantage can go to Intel.

Also as a consumer I would rather have a multi-horse race, then a total monopoly which stagnates the market in anyway.

6. Why a ARM? Surley they thought of Fingure, and really give it to intel

7. With or without Intel, the mobile processor market is a multi-horse race: TSMC, TI, Qualcomm, Samsung, Marvell, etc all license ARM IP and then add their own IP and their own manufacturing capabilities. ARM is a standard that enhances competition. Why? Because smart phone and tablet manufacturers can pick and choose among these chip makers knowing that their software and firmware can be re-used. They can swap chips without starting over from scratch.

Intel is the leader in IC manufacturing and process, but Intel is also addicted to selling expensive and high margin chips. Can they compete with the ARM menagerie which is not just power efficient, but also price efficient?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.