TechSpot

ASRock Haswell boards to feature waterproofing, better audio, 802.11ac

By Rick
May 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Through a recently published teaser on its website, ASRock has shed some light on its upcoming range of Haswell-based motherboards. One feature, in particular, may surprise you though: waterproofing. That's right -- ASRock is planning to waterproof some of its...

Read more

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 374   +42

HDMI input sounds kind of interesting as does the waterproofing. I would more likely consider watercooling if I had a waterproof board. No need to worry about any shorts or a dead motherboard then.

3. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 892   +172

Still gotta worry about a dead GPU,CPU,RAM....etc :p. However, it is still an interesting feature.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,054   +918

Yeah water-cooling will be better, but the coolant will leak onto the GPU still like blkfx said. That is about it though most of the time since the GPU is right below the CPU.

5. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 225   +53

Most likely GPU's are a possible next target, among other components but we don't know for sure. It's something just being done now, so lets see what future parts will include. I can't see some things being part of that, but we'll see about that down the road.

6. Just cut out all the crap and put that audio in an average mobo, I would be very happy to pay 20 dollars more for a great sound. I haven't seen a good onboard sound in an average mobo in years.

7. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 641   +118

All this could be yours for only $999.99!!!

But seriously, hope the price is somewhat affordable.

8. JC713

Waterproofing GPUs could allow for safer GPU watercooling.

They have to be cheap to sell. Waterproofing isnt a big selling point. I read about a cheap nano waterproofing solution.

9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,233   +1,547

So back in the day there was good onboard sound? Seriously get your head out your a**, there is nothing wrong with onboard audio. If you are one of the few that needs more, quit complaining and get an add-in card.

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,941   +724

Until a board manufacturer can guarantee that electrical integrity remains after water entering the PCI-E and RAM slots, I'm going to take the "conformal coating" as a gimmick. Somehow I don't see any kind of coating existing within a slot connector that 1. would retain electrical connectivity, and 2. remain viable once the slot has been filled (and/or vacated) by a device given the contact tolerances required.

JC713 and cliffordcooley like this.
  11. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TS Member Posts: 65   +7

Gaming rig/beta fish tank...counting down the days until my two joys become one!

12. JC713

Mineral oil PC?

Well said. I agree, there is a limit of badass vs functionality.

13. cliffordcooley

So, whats the life span of a Beta fish on mineral oil?

14. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TS Member Posts: 65   +7

Well, I'll have you both know that the life expectancy of a mineral oil beta fish is very short. Horribly short.

On another note, if you don't read any posts from me tomorrow...my girlfriend found out about our experiment. Send HELP!

15. Most pc case place the the mobo standing vertically, so when leak happens it will drip to another component below rather than the mobo itself, so it will be more benefit if we had such waterproof GPU/CPU/RAM or waterpoof PSU :D

But, it still an interesting feature, though

16. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,970   +586

It is a good list of improvements this product offers, all but the watergoofing :)

17. Can I take a shower and play crysis in the same time? When can I buy one?

18. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,324   +800

I can't see any sense in waterproofing unless you're one of these LN2 overclockers. Today's self contained liquid coolers don't leak (unless you're one of the unlucky one's). If it does drip, then it's your GPU that's gonna come second, not the mobo, assuming you use a tower case.

19. cliffordcooley

I've seen several comments, suggesting the GPU would be the most likely victim of any leaks. Perhaps placing a drip pan on top of the GPU would solve this issue. lol

JC713 and mrcavooter like this.
  20. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

Electrical connections can still be made through something that is waterproof. Gorilla glass is a well known example of something that is waterproof but can conduct the subtle electric field of your body to control your phone. This is 100% possible.

21. cliffordcooley

I hope you are not suggesting the use of a conductive sealant within a card or memory slot. That would introduce stray resistance if not a dead short, between all the pins within the slot.

dividebyzero likes this.
  22. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

You can always make your own :eek:

23. JC713

lol. A back plate may help somewhat. It may be a solution for short term until you notice the leak (few minutes).

24. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

A conductive material is one that features a low resistance. Are you referring to capacitance?

25. cliffordcooley

No, I mean conductive. Capacitance is the ability to maintain a charge, not conduct electricity.

You are wrong about conductive materials. Any material that will conduct electricity is conductive and can be used as a conductor. Every conductor has a resistance, the only question is how much resistance. Any and all stray resistance can change electronic properties of any circuit. Why do you think they use special fluids in submersible electronics. These fluids are electrically non-conductive (aka: Electric Insulator) and will properly cool without changing electronic properties of the components submerged.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.