Asus announces ROG Crosshair IV Extreme motherboard

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Asus has officially unveiled its latest ROG-branded (Republic of Gamers) motherboard, the Crosshair IV Extreme. The EATX board features AMD's 890FX+SB850 chipset combo and features a slew of overclocking functions, including the ability to tweak settings remotely over USB from a connected notebook, using a Bluetooth cellphone, and even from a new iPhone app called ROG iDirect. It also sports a Lucid HydraLogix chip, allowing you to mix up to four different Nvidia and ATI GPUs together.

The Crosshair IV Extreme supports up to 16GB of DDR3 2000MHz RAM spread across four DIMM slots and it has five PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (quad configurations run at x16 x16 x8 x8). Other I/O includes one PCI slot, six SATA 6Gb/s, two SATA 3Gb/s and two eSATA 3Gb/s ports, two USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports on the rear panel, Bluetooth v2.0/2.1+EDR, and gigabit Ethernet. US pricing and availability is unknown, but TechConnect reports that it's available for preorder in Europe for €290 -- the rough equivalent of $378.

Permalink to story.

This will be a nice replacment board for my CHIII when it comes down in price.

...Ummm, anyone want to buy a slightly used Crosshair IV Formula? This is the one I really wanted, but of course it gets delayed until right after I purchase the CIVF.

I'm kinda scratching my head wondering why one would need a "remote tweaking" option.

Matthew said:
I'm not sure how the feature would be useful either. Anyone?

If it works for gpus it would have been useful when nvidia sent out those drivers that messed up the fan controller :p

Hopefully this will bring the prices down for the Crosshair IV Formula MB..As I'd like one ,,

I'm kinda scratching my head wondering why one would need a "remote tweaking" option.
Hi Tom , the RC tweak is for hard core OC'ers. It is so when the settings you implement crash the machine, it saves the last settings and setup. They gave me a short USB cable to hook up a laptop and tweak from it.

@ guest, the 5 PCIE slots are for options, if you need to make use of that Pci slot, you have the lower PCIE slot to use for example....and folding I suppose.

is it possible to replace my crosshair iv that i just bought few months ago to this one???

Meh. Sure looks nice and seems feature packed by AMD standards but the sandy bridge platform will mop the floor with this in a few months.

You'd really have to love AMD to purchase this board. Even that price would be too crazy for an X58 board, let alone the 890FX. I cannot discount the amount of technology that has been packed into this board though, and on those merits, this is one badass board.

@red1776

I meant...swap my current one to this one? I heard from a friend that Asus allows you to do that?

@red1776

I meant...swap my current one to this one? I heard from a friend that Asus allows you to do that?

I have never heard of that program, was this something you read having to do with the NB/SB/PWR heatsink issue maybe? and did you have the standoff issue when you got your Crosshair IV?

EVGA has a 'step-up' program where you can upgrade to a higher model within a certain timeframe and only pay the difference. Not sure if Asus does the same, but I'm sure the answer is only a phone-call away!

Back