TechSpot

Asus announces ROG Crosshair IV Extreme motherboard

By Matthew
Sep 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Asus has officially unveiled its latest ROG-branded (Republic of Gamers) motherboard, the Crosshair IV Extreme. The EATX board features AMD's 890FX+SB850 chipset combo and features a slew of overclocking functions, including the ability to tweak settings remotely over USB from a connected notebook, using a Bluetooth cellphone, and even from a new iPhone app called ROG iDirect. It also sports a Lucid HydraLogix chip, allowing you to mix up to four different Nvidia and ATI GPUs together.

Read the whole story

2. This will be a nice replacment board for my CHIII when it comes down in price.

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

...Ummm, anyone want to buy a slightly used Crosshair IV Formula? This is the one I really wanted, but of course it gets delayed until right after I purchase the CIVF.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,546   +590

I'm kinda scratching my head wondering why one would need a "remote tweaking" option.

5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 5,257   +92

I'm not sure how the feature would be useful either. Anyone?

6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

If it works for gpus it would have been useful when nvidia sent out those drivers that messed up the fan controller :p

7. FLHR

FLHR TS Rookie Posts: 17

Hopefully this will bring the prices down for the Crosshair IV Formula MB..As I'd like one ,,

8. What game needs a 5 crossfire config?, Crysis 4?

9. red1776

Hi Tom , the RC tweak is for hard core OC'ers. It is so when the settings you implement crash the machine, it saves the last settings and setup. They gave me a short USB cable to hook up a laptop and tweak from it.

@ guest, the 5 PCIE slots are for options, if you need to make use of that Pci slot, you have the lower PCIE slot to use for example....and folding I suppose.

10. is it possible to replace my crosshair iv that i just bought few months ago to this one???

11. KG363

KG363 TS Guru Posts: 515   +9

I'm interested in the numbers for lucid hydra. I wanna see how well it performs

12. red1776

ummm, yeah....purchase one. :)

13. Meh. Sure looks nice and seems feature packed by AMD standards but the sandy bridge platform will mop the floor with this in a few months.

14. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

You'd really have to love AMD to purchase this board. Even that price would be too crazy for an X58 board, let alone the 890FX. I cannot discount the amount of technology that has been packed into this board though, and on those merits, this is one badass board.

15. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Imagine it playing Tetris with 40 000 FPS!

16. @red1776

I meant...swap my current one to this one? I heard from a friend that Asus allows you to do that?

17. red1776

I have never heard of that program, was this something you read having to do with the NB/SB/PWR heatsink issue maybe? and did you have the standoff issue when you got your Crosshair IV?

18. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

EVGA has a 'step-up' program where you can upgrade to a higher model within a certain timeframe and only pay the difference. Not sure if Asus does the same, but I'm sure the answer is only a phone-call away!

19. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

that is a lot of money for a motherboard alone... but damn it looks sexy :)