Asus Eee Pad Transformer arrives in the US; already sold out

Emil

The Asus Eee Pad Transformer officially arrived in the US today but you may have trouble finding a unit for yourself. A quick check on the Asus' Where To Buy webpage for the Eee Pad Transformer shows that many retailers, including the big ones like Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart, are already listing it as "sold out" or "out of stock." Rather than ordering online, your best bet is to check your local retail stores to make sure there really are no units left.

The Eee Pad Transformer sets itself apart from the tablet competition with an optional chiclet-style keyboard dock that essentially transforms the device into a netbook. Besides making the device much more convenient to type on and handle productivity tasks, it also extends battery life from around 9.5 hours to 16 hours thanks to a second battery within.

The actual device costs $400 for the 16GB Wi-Fi only model, although the dock will set you back an extra $150. Still, the price is very competitive given that this is one of the few tablets available with Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb).

The Transformer has a 10.1-inch 1280×800 IPS Gorilla Glass capacitive touchscreen display, a 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, 5MP rear and 1.2MP front cameras, a Micro SD expansion slot, and HDMI out. You'll also find speakers and audio jacks, USB 2.0, 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity, as well as a G-sensor, light sensor, gyroscope, e-compass, and GPS. It also comes with Asus' Waveshare interface, which includes MyNet (streams media to networked devices), MyLibrary (digital bookstore) and MyCloud (cloud storage and remote access tool).

Permalink to story.

I don't need one but I want one, I like the idea of it being dual purpose netbook and tablet. Also its Asus and not Apple.

why would you want this over the acer w500? specs are better on the w500 and well my sister has a win 7 tablet and i find it very easy to work with, and considering comptabliity the w500 would imo would be a better choice for a student when used with a stylus.

I've just pre-ordered mine up here in Canuckistan. I grabbed the 32GB version. Sure it'll cost me $500 but I think it'll be worth it. Will end up replacing my low-end laptop too!

Can't wait! Giggity!

Back