Asus full lowdown, claims 70% market share on X79 motherboards, future products and more

By Leeky
Jan 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. We've been covering Asus products, especially components like motherboards and graphics cards for years now, and you know they are good. Since their stunning success with netbooks however, they haveā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. killeriii

killeriii TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

"P67 series motherboards have also reached a global market share of approximately 50-60 percent each as well.

Wouldn't believe it, except i just bought an Asus P67 Sabertooth a couple months ago.
    I had thought Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte were on equal ground.
    My last mobo was an MSI. Before that, an Intel, and before that, a Gigabyte.
    I guess Asus has the best handle on these new sandybridge chipsets.
  3. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

asus' high end boards have always been top notch and great performers. however the quality of their mid~low end boards seem to be plagued with low quality components. that's from my experience. as a result, you always have to end up spending top dollars to get a good product from them.
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,784   +639

@killeriii
    Probably more a case of:
    Aggressive marketing -especially for the ROG series
    Worldwide presence
    Time to market (Biostar has just launched, EVGA isn't available worldwide yet, Foxconn where are you)
    Number of models. MSi has three X79 boards (GD45 +mATX, GD65, Big Bang)-of which, one has only just launched, Asus has seven. A larger number of SKU's usually means that pricing and feature set can be tailored to every buying segment.
    As for P67/Z68 (and X79), Asus has UEFI working out the gate, whereas Gigabyte's P67/Z68 boards still use a conventional BIOS (or hybrid EFI in TouchBIOS) - a fact that hasn't gone unnoticed either by reviewers or the buying public
  5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

can't wait to see what they have in store for Ivy Bridge this spring!
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,784   +639

I wouldn't expect too much. Z77 seems to be functionally very similar the Z68 "chipset". Native PCI-E 3.0, USB3.0 and some expanded connectivity seem to be the order of the day judging by these Gigabyte shots and HC's spread of MSI boards
  7. Have always bought Asus motherboards and never been let down. It's nice to see an innovative and efficient company doing as well as it deserves.
  8. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

I've always bought Asus and only ever had one issue out of the 24 or so i've installed.
    They keep their BIOS's Up-to-date and come out in a timely manner, Drivers are usually great out the box and get updated very quickly if there is a problem. I've currently got the Sabertooth and it has a very good 5 year warrenty and the motherboard that did fail on me Asus sent me a new one out that arrived a week later.Overall, I am a very happy Asus customer :)
  9. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 296

people are commercially stupid, Gigabyte MB are way better.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.