TechSpot

Asus Maximus V Extreme or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7?

By death791
Aug 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all I'm looking to buy a new motherboard sometime this week, I'm looking to upgrade from a MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard to a more powerful overclocking board. I am currently Running a i5 3570k @ 4.2 ghz and 2 Xfx Black Edition 7970 Crossfired. I'm trying to pick from either the

Asus Maximus V Extreme board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131858 or the

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128569 the reason I'm switching motherboard is because currently I'm buying my parts for my full water cooling loop so I want to get a new board in the case before I install and fill the loop, and I plan on upgrading to a 3rd 7970 graphic card and I want to easily be able to overclock the whole system. Any Opinions be great I am just looking for a Z77 Platform 1155 Socket motherboard ( I'm not upgrading my processor yet) with 3/4way CFX and SLI support also which BIOS do you prefer better Asus or Gigabyte? Thanks a lot!
  2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Neither, I don't think it's wise to spend $350+ on what is now a legacy socket for a few extra Mhz. If you really need the extra CPU power you should save up for Ivy Bridge E (or get a 3770K), and if you're just gaming the 3570K at 4.2Ghz is more than enough.
  3. death791

death791 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 61

Yes I'm not worried about the processer speed I can easily overclock it to 4.6ghz once I have my water setup installed and yes this build is primary a gaming setup, I need to switch boards because I want to install a 3rd graphics card and I need a 3/4way CFX/SLI PCI express supported motherboard the Asus and Gigabyte are the best looking two I could find, and also I want to upgrade to a board that will let me overclock all the cards easily. But I haven't use Asus or Gigabytes BIOS before so I also wanted to know which people preferred when it comes to overclocking. thanks!
  4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I would choose the Asus between those two, they have an excellent reputation for their high end boards.

If you're just after the extra PCI-E lanes it might be an idea to consider the 4820K and an X79 motherboard. The X79 platform has 40 PCI-E lanes so even a cheap $200 board can run 3 or 4 GPUs without the need for a PLX chip (which reduces performance and is expensive).

In terms of pricing it will probably cost the same assuming you sell your 3570K except you've upgraded to a superior platform and better overclocking chip in the 4820K since it will use fluxless solder rather than TIM.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.