I've just built a new PC out of the following kit:

ASUS P5P43TD Pro motherboard
Intel Q6600 CPU with
8GB Kingston RAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G x 2)
Pair SATA 300GB HDD
Ati X1300 dual monitor graphics card
Coolermaster case with 750W PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

All went reasonably during installation, with a couple of hangs, but completed successfully. Now, however, the setup is really unstable, with BSOD and hangs being too frequent for meaningful use. I saw another thread by josean777 in which he has virtually the same problems with another ASUS board, and also the brilliant reply by devidebyzero suggesting fixes. However, having downloaded the utils suggested, my motherboard is subtly different to josean777's. Does anyone have experience similar to mine?

Cheers,
TheValveDoctor

Can you describe errors displayed by the BSOD's you are having?

To start with, have you ensured that your RAM is listed in QVL for this board, and is correctly configured (settings/voltage) in the BIOS?

Lastly, I hope someone from admins will move this thread to correct forum i.e. Windows BSOD, Freezing, Restarting Help

Thanks for the quick reply Archean,

I reckoned that this is definitlely a hardware issue, and not a Windows one, hence posting in this forum. Yes, the RAM is in both Kingston's recommended list and ASUS' QVL. The ASUS user guide recommends letting the motherboard auto-configure the RAM, and I can't find out if the Kingston RAM has an embedded XMP profile or not. I'm at work, so I can't check the BSOD error, but they are different each time.

Kindly post your minidump(s) for analysis with your next post as well; you can find these in C:\windows\minidump. If you have multiple dumps just zip them in a file. Regards

Hi again,

Perversely, the PC is running fine this evening, and I've zipped up the minnidump files and uploaded them, all on the unstable PC! I'm about to try some of the tips dividebyzero offered to the other chap having trouble with an ASUS motherboard.

Cheers,
TheValveDoctor

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    199.4 KB · Views: 2
ADMINS: Could you please replace this thread BACK in the forum I posted it in originally, Processors, Chipsets and Motherboards? I think it was moved to Windows BSOD, Freezing, Restarting Help at the request of Archean, but this is not a Windows issue, but definitely a hardware one.

Many thanks,

TheValveDoctor

Analysis of these minidumps reveals that five of the dumps points to crashes with 0x50 error, three to 0xD1 error, one each with 0x7F and 0x3b error.

Both 0x50 & 0xD1 errors can occur due to driver issues or hardware issues/failure etc.

Error 0x7Fmay occur if:
Processor is damaged or defective.
Or the processor is operating outside its specified ranges for temperature, power, or other conditions.

Also ensure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date.

Error 3b: can occur due to RAM issues.

Now as you are using Asus motherboard; it is good place to start with looking at your RAM type, how it is being set in BIOS (is it according to RAM's specs/settings/voltage etc.). As I suggested earlier kindly do see into this at earliest.

If the RAM is configured correctly in BIOS, then check your RAM with memtest, let it run for minimum of 8 passes (better still let it run through the night), if it finds any errors you'll have to replace the defected modules.

To ensure your processor is working alright, you can put into any other supporting LGA775 motherboard (preferably in a working system) and if it works alright then you can clear it as source of these issues.

Note: You may need to run memtest on individual modules if the errors are found.

Motherboard is brand new, with latest BIOS. CPU is known good, an E6700 does the same thing. RAM is brand new. As I mentioned earlier, all hardware has been installed and allowed to auto-configure by the motherboard. I'll have a look with memtest, memset and cpuid this evening. Thanks again for your help,

Regards,
TheValveDoctor

Well if the CPU is OK ...... I can only suspect RAM at this moment; so do let me know about your memtest results. Also, RAM being 'brand new' doesn't mean it can't have any issues. Beside In recent days, I have seen few similar threads like yours and common thing was 'Asus motherboard' ...... and 'wrongly configured memory' in BIOS. Regards

Hi Archean,

Memtest has run all night, says RAM is fine. I've left it running while I'm at work, but don't expect there to be an issue. However, I noticed some interesting figures in the information displayed by Memtest, CPUID and Memset - all claim the RAM is PC1066 (533MHz), when it is sold as 1333 (667MHz). Would I be right in thinking that this is the BIOS misconfiguring the memory? If so, I can presumably sort this? The timing in Memtest is quoted as being 7-7-7-20.

It seems to be the case, you need to reconfigure your RAM settings in BIOS according to specs/voltage as suggested earlier.

At the moment your board is running the RAM at 1:1 ratio (i.e. 1066 FSB with DDR3-1066). Not a big concern and the bandwidth difference is not that great, and you gain with tighter timings (7-7-7-20 as opposed to 9-9-9-24 for DDR3-1333). Be aware that Kingston ValueRAM often has problems maintaining (or sometimes even reaching) it's highest bandwidth (speed) without a DRAM voltage boost for 4x2Gb. The default voltage is 1.50v- for a dual kit 1.60-1.65v may be required for stability (Note below*). Bear in mind that the extra voltage will heat up your motherboards Northbridge a little more than it is at present.

If you definitely want to try for DDR3-1333 you will need to raise your Core frequency to 333MHz (from 266), i.e. a 1333 FSB instead of 1066.
If you lower your CPU multiplier down to 8 (from 9) and raise the FSB to 333 you should be able to run the RAM at DDR3-1333. THis will give you a CPU frequency (speed) of 2.66GHz (8 x 333)
So the settings you'll need are...

Ai Overclock Tuner = [Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting = [08.0]
FSB Strap to Northbridge = [333]
DRAM Frequency = [DDR3-1333MHz]
DRAM Command Rate = [2N]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = [Auto]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = [Auto]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1= [Auto]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2= [Auto]
DRAM Timing Control = [Manual] <<<<once you set to manual you get the following options below
CAS# Latency = [9]
RAS# to CAS# Delay = [9]
RAS# PRE Time = [9]
RAS# ACT Time = [24]
..........All Else to Auto.....then....
DRAM Static Read Control = [Enabled]
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = [Disabled]
Transaction Booster = [Auto]
.....down to near the bottom of the page to...
Memory Over Voltage = [1.50000] <<<<<start with 1.5 and test using Memtest86+, if not stable, although this sounds unlikely if the kits have passed a stability test at DDR3-1066C7 then raise a few notches (say to 1.55v) and retest. The biggest obstacle is the RAM possibly not being able to meet its rated maximum of DDR3-1333 rather than voltage.

(Note*) Kingston guarantee the RAM to volt at JEDEC spec which allows the RAM to go to 1.575v and to still stay within warranty. The RAM should handle a little more (1.6-1.65v) although Kingston aren't known for building in big tolerances into their RAM- so it's a case of proceed at your own risk at voltages above 1.575v.

Thanks both of you,

I left the board on memtest all yesterday, and when I got home, there were no errors posted. I rebooted the PC and haven't been able to get it to POST since! I've cleared CMOS and removed all but one of the DIMMS, but still nothing. I am really hacked off, as this is my second attempt to find a trouble-free DDR3 motherboard that would just work, and I'm no beginner. My last board was an Intel DP45SG, and although I still have it, I cant get it to POST reliably either. I'm at my wit's end! Is this worth pursuing guys, or is the holy grail of buy-build-use not practical nowadays?

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but....
Did you reboot into the BIOS to reset your boot order back to hard drive?
Or do you mean....that the board is completely lifeless?
When you say the board won't POST, that usually means you have a completely dead board...is this the case? No beep codes at startup?
It seems very, very strange that a board that was running fine-since it was running a DOS program for an extended period of time-which indicates a reasonable amount of health.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but....
Did you reboot into the BIOS to reset your boot order back to hard drive?
Or do you mean....that the board is completely lifeless?
When you say the board won't POST, that usually means you have a completely dead board...is this the case? No beep codes at startup?
It seems very, very strange that a board that was running fine-since it was running a DOS program for an extended period of time-which indicates a reasonable amount of health.

Sorry - posted your own message as a reply! The motherboard is exhibiting unusual behaviour now. It won't POST until the CMOS is cleared, then it POSTS and asks if I want to load defaults or enter setup. Either causes it to reboot and fail to POST again until the CMOS is cleared again. I've tried removing all the DIMMs except one, to make sure that a timing issue between DIMMs wasn't the problem, but no luck. I've contacted the vendor and asked him to exchange for an alternative manufacturer of motherboard, but he suggests that I ask ASUS for assistance. I can't help thinking that this would get me nowhere meaningful, with Kingston blaming ASUS and vice versa. I've just about had enough with the both of them, and that, in spite of buying the products each recommends, the system still doesn't work. I'd value your opinion as to whether you reckon this is worth pursuing, knowing both manufacturers involved, or whether you feel changing one, or both, products might give me a working system.

I know what you mean TVD, as I once bought Asus motherboard and found myself in similar sort of position as no matter what I do it would always read 2GB sticks as 1GB. The shear stupidity of not having the RAM operate at its designed/specified speeds + timings/settings by default is beyond me, I mean if someone wants to overclock they can always do it, but usually an ordinary user doesn't get involved in it.

What I said doesn't mean Asus make bad motherboards, its just that their approach is what causes issues.

Anyway, if I were you, i'd send the board back ..... and I think probably that bad experience I had makes me avoid their boards in general, beside I am not interested in few %age of more free performance for all the hassle involved in it.

Having said that, bit of contradiction ....... I'd advise you to wait, because DBZ's advice in this regard will be much more valuable.

Since the RAM tested out OK with Memtest I think we can assume that the sticks are good. Memtest tests the RAM in relative isolation so I'd say that it is the board that is the problem here, especially since the RAM is listed in the QVL. The fact that the system was unstable since it was first put together, and I'll assume here that you used auto settings initially tends to indicate that the board is bad- unfortunately not a rare occurance, even more so with Asus boards (both Gigabyte and MSI have a lower failure rate) and their rapidly declining customer service.
I would definitely be looking at an RMA back to Asus (or your supplier as the case may be) if I were in your situation.

Thanks Archean and DBZ, much appreciated. As I said initially, I'm not a beginner - been building PC's since 1988, when the only reliable hardware I could get was genuine IBM PC, XT and AT motherboards. Even those had little cludge wires all over them! I think I will pursue ASUS for a refund, but they may offer me a replacement, so I'll come back and let you know how I get on. Is there an ASUS DDR3 board that either of reckon is worth having - or is this one worth having if it's working as intended?

I think the number of good LGA775 socket boards is declining because Core 2 and its associated platform is being phased out by Intel. Anyway, here is one option I found on newegg. Also, this MSI looks ok to me as well.

Anyway, if you are not going to overclock or want to avoid any hassles involved with other vendors boards, I'd suggest you to go for an Intel board, usually they are simple, easy to configure.

I'd maybe look at at this Gigabyte board if you're not locked into an Asus replacement. Like Asus has a three year warranty and I personally prefer the options available in the Gigabyte's PhoenixAward BIOS. Added bonus of USB3 should the peripherals become a little more prevalent.

Believe it or not, as Archean had pointed out that LGA775 motherboards are becoming scarcer, I went looking for alternatives and the Gigabyte one jumped out immediately. PhoenixAward BIOS eh? I remember when Phoenix and Award were two separate companies . . .hehe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back