Asus motherboard with UEFI demoed on video

Emil

An Asus Sandy Bridge motherboard with a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) has been demonstrated on video, thanks to Sweclockers. You don't need to speak Swedish to understand that leaks like this are important to geeks everywhere, and especially those looking forward to a UEFI future.

The Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is to be succeeded by UEFI. The BIOS is an integral part of any computer since it initializes a machine before the OS takes over, but it has changed little in 25 years and was never designed to with the long term in mind. UEFI will mean faster boot times, various design enhancements, a mouse-controlled user interface, and many other improvements. The video embedded below is just a taste of what's to come.

Hopefully we'll see some standardization for UI navigation; it would be a shame if every single UEFI worked and looked differently (like today's BIOS does). Experts are predicting that UEFI will start dominating BIOS in 2011. Whether that will happen or not is yet to be seen, but having and industry leader like Asus pushing forward certainly helps.

Permalink to story.

Man! that looks sweet! It would be nice to have something to replace BIOS, I'm not one who complains about the BIOS but a new UI would be nice :)

I hope this decent enough and coming soon, I want to be one of the first to get an asus motherboard which is UEFI enabled.

Waw, finally a decent GUI for BIOS, improvement has to become! 20 years without any modification on the interfaces (minors only)...

I can't wait to get an Asus MoBo with EUFI :)

Wow! Never heard of UEFI before, but it certainly looks sweet! It was about time to change that 8bit looking BIOS... next stop BIOS in 3D :)

Nice, BIOS was never hard to get around in but I figured with all these new pieces of hardware coming out, It would eventually become outdated. I hope they get creative with this new setup. Such as storing motherboard drivers and troubleshooting software within it.

Wow I hope this catches on. This should significantly reduce boot-up times and probably also allow for closer OS and BIOS (I mean UEFI :) ) Integration. I am glad they are using a more user-friendly and colourful design. Mouse control is a welcome feature by me. I hope it improves on overclocking stability (ie. Advices the user on stable settings) and also better management of drivers.

Good Luck Asus!

Ok so other than speed, it's pretty, the ability to boot to drives larger than 2TB, and the MBR going away because UEFI will handle boot loading, what does this really do for anyone?

If UEFI is standardized and there aren't 5000 different versions, I'm all for that. It'd be easier to tell people how to fix stuff if we're all using the exact same thing, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

As for the GUI I personally don't care. I'm more worried people will think "ooooh pretty pictures, I can do this myself!". I don't need pictures to be happy, I actually like simplicity. I'd be fine with a menu system like BIOS has now, but with more functionality.

BIOS is WAY overdue to be replaced. I am very excited about this. UEFI looks to be the way to go. Faster load times and better UI should both be very nice

Oh man... it's going to be hard to not upgrade next year then x_x

I hope this takes off. The previous replacement for BIOS never took off (other then in Mac's).

I agree with what some of the other posts have stated: UEFI is a cool development, but I do not need pictures or drag and drop capability in a pre-boot environment.
The BIOS was for the fearless, now with the cool interface, inexperienced users are going to start entering their new computer's UEFI and fiddling with the settings. Not a pretty picture.

Certainly looking forward to this. Next year is the time to upgrade... Bulldozer/Sandy Bridge, 28nm GPU's and now this.

That IS nice, but as techspot wrote: "Hopefully we'll see some standardization for UI navigation; it would be a shame if every single UEFI worked and looked differently (like today's BIOS does).", a standardized BIOS IS the way forward for UEFI. The GUI is cool yes, but it provides the same functionality as today's BIOS on the other hand I like the mouse gesture support.

BTW. A faster boot-up is the improvement which should be given much attention. Everyone likes an instant on boot up, so speed is the utmost importance.

Standardization on a very few or one UI and I'll be very happy about this. This clip should be enough to make some of you excited.

LNCPapa said:
Standardization on a very few or one UI and I'll be very happy about this. This clip should be enough to make some of you excited.

That clip is insane! although that has to be an SSD to be that quick! although it they are going to ship computers that boot that fast! thats absolutely astonishing!

The UI reminds me a bit of AMD overdrive, but nicer looking. I can't help but wonder why manufacturers can't make the BIOS a little bit more eye friendly than the currently do. Why do they seem to only use a few different colors?

The BIOS was for the fearless, now with the cool interface, inexperienced users are going to start entering their new computer's UEFI and fiddling with the settings. Not a pretty picture.

The "Fearless" you speak of had just as much ability to screw things up and not to mention The "Fearless" were also people just learning how to use things. Trial and error. Screw up after screw up. I don't see how someone can screw up their computer any worse with UEFI than they could with a BIOS. Please explain?

I am glad that I saved my upgrade money for Sandy Bridge. This looks amazing and is exactly what we need at this point. It is definitely time for BIOS to get replaced by something more powerful and easy to use.

Back