Asus prepping second Eee Pad with Atom and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In addition to its ARM and Google Android/Chrome OS-based tablet PC, Asus is also whipping up a run-of-the-mill Wintel device, according to CEO and President Jerry Shen. The 10-inch slate boasts a "no-fan, ultra-thin and light design" and will be powered by an Intel Atom along with Windows 7.

Very few details were provided about the Windows slate, and although the Google device is supposedly three inches smaller, it seems likely that many of its features will carry over. Between statements and leaks, it's believed the Android/Chrome OS tablet features an Nvidia Tegra SoC with enough muscle for 1080p playback, Adobe Flash support, a front-mounted camera, standard USB connectivity, and 3G.

Both versions of the Eee Pad are expected to debut at Computex in early June and retail availability should follow shortly thereafter. Speculation prices the 7-inch model at around $480 to $510 after carrier subsidies.

Permalink to story.

jacob007 said:
and even if that is true, one that won`t sell nearly as good as the ******* iPad

Ahh, but I'd still like to have a tablet that is functional, like the eee pad, while the Apple fanboys play with their iToys.

Microsoft has Media Center they only have to make the OS work as the Media Center but functional for Slate or Tablet or clipper. iPad just the beginning by the time better panels come out that will be as flat as paper. Video paper or VPV (video paper viewer)

Although I'm not overly enthusiastic about the new wave of tablets, Apple made or not, manufacturers basing their models on Windows are taking their fair share of time to enter the market. IMHO, there's an inherent problem trying to use a full fledged OS in a thin tablet factor versus Apple's approach using a smartphone OS with extended capabilities and a capable enough processor.

I think MS needs to take what is 'needed' in a tablet from the full OS; and eliminate rest of it. Once they do that, they can come up with a basic useable OS with an efficient touch system interface, resulting in much more competitive market. I agree with Julio's comment that things on Wintel side has been really slow, but I don't think they are totally out of it, infact if they can pull the rabbit out of the hat they may well rule the roost.

On a side note, I remember reading somewhere MS has some inhouse project of creating a cutdown version of windows, I forgot its name though.

there may have been 1 million people who bought the iPad, but there were 6,696,254,041 people that did not buy the iPad.

there may have been 1 million people who bought the iPad, but there were 6,696,254,041 people that did not buy the iPad.

I am not one of them @@@@@; nor I intend to buy one; because at this moment these things are nothing more than a fad. And sorry for the bit of fruity language over there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back