ASUS Rampage III Extreme 3-Way CrossFireX HD 5970

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

g4mer

My friend has ASUS Rampage III Extreme motherboard which supports 3-way CrossFire. He owns 2x HD 5970 GPU's. He asked me can he run 3 HD 5970's in CF without melting, and without PSU problems. I told him probably not, but im not pro so im asking you guys...

You might want to tell your friend about the fundamentals before looking into melting cards and power delivery since said friend seems to have considerably more money than sense IMO.

What makes your friend think he has the CPU horsepower to drive three HD 5970's anywhere close to their potential? Assuming your friend has a 975XE (or maybe a 980X), he's still going to need to overclock it massively in order to minimize bottlenecking the cards- note I say minimize and not eliminate.
So....massive OC implies water or peltier cooling, which your friend could certainly afford if he'a already plunked down for two high end cards, an R3E, a $1k CPU, 12+Gb RAM and the requisite PSU....thus your friend would also be looking at waterblocked cards-ergo, no heat problem

I'm 98% sure you cannot run 3 x 5970. A pair of them is already the equivalent of a 4-Way Crossfire.

I'm 98% sure you cannot run 3 x 5970. A pair of them is already the equivalent of a 4-Way Crossfire.

yes, before you even get to the salient points that Chef made, AMD is still reporting that driver support continues to be 4 GPU max. Anyone know this to be different?

Its 4 max gpus, and to the question that needs to be asked. Why add another? Is your friend one of those types that spend trash loads of money on the plug and play stuff, ie; video cards, cpu's memory w/o reading or understanding the technology, because if he is the problem has already started possibly. 2 of those need a rock solid psu. did he has to ask you to ask us about 3, I'm afraid for him.

Sweet....now you tell him that 3 cards are a no no (at the present time CrossfireX on dual 5970's is broken on more games than I'd care to list) so the next question will be...Can my friends R3E fit two three-slot Sapphire Toxic 4Gb cards and a GTX 480 for PhysX :evil:

I think he has 1KW-1.5KW power supply. His processor is Intel Core i7 980x, and he has 12GB DDR3 RAM (i think its Corsair, not sure). Everything is water-cooled. I told him ATi drivers are not supporting 6 GPUs, and im sure it wont work, but he's retarded and wants to buy 3rd HD 5970 just to see will it work. He's dad owns supermarket and thats why he's so rich...

My dad owns a company that makes auto parts for GM worth 128m which he started himself. I personally have 14 patends for heated and cooled seats which I came up with the idea in 7th grade. Just because I'm not poor doesn't mean I can make poor decisions. I have one gtx 295 and I dont need anything more atm. Rich in material doesnt always mean rich in knowledge. He needs to keep the two gpus he has and be happy.

I think he has 1KW-1.5KW power supply. His processor is Intel Core i7 980x, and he has 12GB DDR3 RAM (i think its Corsair, not sure). Everything is water-cooled. I told him ATi drivers are not supporting 6 GPUs, and im sure it wont work, but he's retarded and wants to buy 3rd HD 5970 just to see will it work. He's dad owns supermarket and thats why he's so rich...

He can stick the card in the slot, but it sure wont be Crossfire. Maybe tell him he'll be helping humanity by turning the system into a folding rig...I hear Milkyway@home and SETI@home likes ATI cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back