TechSpot

Asus Sandy Bridge motherboard previews hit the web

By Jos
Nov 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Intel’s Sandy Bridge is scheduled to arrive in early 2011 along a family of 6-series core-logic chipsets and a flood of motherboards fitted with the updated LGA1155 socket. Asus plans to have a bunch of compatible products ready for the big launch day, and over the weekend they begun sharing a bit of what you can expect in terms of features and diversity. In total, the company is planning to release 17 boards based on the P67, H67 and Q67 chipsets.

Read the whole story

2. kiddesign

kiddesign TS Rookie

3. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy TS Rookie Posts: 47

Pretty nice, I'm wondering if the "case" that cover the mobo will make it overheat, probably not - good engineer worked on it I guess.

4. Geezuz! A military motherboard!

5. cardriverx

cardriverx TS Rookie Posts: 84

That P67 is extreamly sexy...

6. This is just frigging awesome. Coving all the breakable, non-upgradable bits should make it SO much easier to work with. If it cools better too... well, then one day all motherboards should be made like that :).

7. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

I do like the look of the covering much better. As long as it isn't too tough to remove so you can check capacitors I'm all for it becoming standard.

8. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 197

Tidy! Looks really tidy with that cover... I might just wait for Sandy bridge to come out so that prices of all Intel's sockets go down! By the way, I asked this question time ago in another news, Sandy it's a chipset or a socket? =S

9. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 964   +49

There needs to be more quality miniITX motherboards, so I am glad to see ASUS is gonna give Intel some love considering its EXCELLENT AM3 miniITX motherboard it released a couple months ago

10. taea00

taea00 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102

That thing looks so fierce. I really wonder how well that plastic covering does at directing airflow. It still looks amazing.

11. blimp01

blimp01 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157

thats so cool, i would have never thought of making the entire thing have a heatsink

12. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 964   +49

From my understanding it is essentially a plastic shroud that forces airflow below it (assuming there is airflow going into it). I wouldn't call it a heatsink, but it looks like it is supposed to direct air through the shroud to help improve cooling of passive chips and capacitors. Assuming ASUS knows what it is doing, it should cool better than true open passive cooling, at least for the components closest to the airflow entrance.

13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,946   +728

Sandy Bridge is the CPU architecture - Two versions:

Sandy Bridge ( P/H/Q67 chipset, LGA 1155 socket)-mainstream -supercedes Core i3/i5/i7/Xeon LGA1156 used in the P55/H55/H57 and Intel 3420 chipsets

Sandy Bridge-E (X68? chipset, LGA 2011 socket)-enthusiast- supercedes Core i7/Xeon LGA 1366 used with the X58 and Intel 5520 chipsets

14. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

that mb looks really good but it also looks very expensive :D

15. Gars

Gars TS Enthusiast Posts: 228

Sabertooth is not a news http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AM2RChl84MZrKh6J
    (there is another version with P55 which is oldest i think) and ofc, its so expensive here - like $300 or so

i saw it a few months ago and i want it badly

im already fan of of the WS series cos i was able to work one of these

but here, the design is much more improved and i like it so much =)~

im waiting for the first benchmarks with the SBridge

16. bioflex

bioflex TS Rookie Posts: 70

now this looks like a motherboard you are going to spend quite a lot of cash on and i am sure in the long run its going to be worth it......imo, it looks gorgeous.

17. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

I don't really understand how the plastic shroud helps with airflow, but it sure looks cool.

18. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

Did they get rid of that BIOS and replace it with that UEFI thing or whatever

19. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Getting excited to see this stuff come out, gonna make things really interesting.

20. what they forgot to say is that the sabretooth also comes with a 70mm fan that sits over the north bridge (spot with 4 screws in it).

21. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195

I can't wait for Sandy Bridge!
    Not sure if I like the shroud... But if it helps temps I am for it.

22. UT66

UT66 TS Rookie Posts: 144

cool, but pointless. all the motherboards look the same inside a case.

23. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

Now if only that "Tactical Jacket" was a full board water block. I don't see how it would be useful to directing airflow.

24. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,946   +728

25. can you imagine how dusty that thing is going to get under there?
    in 3 months the usefulness of it directing airflow would probally be void

being plastic it probally absorbs heat but doesnt dissipate it very well
    consider adonized aluminum instead..

and, the mounting screws there would be a real headache

"military grade" is a double edged sword
    it could mean the cheapest parts that survive the durability test
    you know how the military loves the lowest bidder

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.