Asus to start shipping some Eee PCs with Ubuntu preloaded

Jos

Staff

Back in 2007 when the netbook craze was just starting there was a lot of talk about Linux finally going mainstream. The first Eee PC model shipped with the Xandros distribution and several subsequent models offered both Windows and Linux options. The open source operating system allowed manufacturers to shave off some software costs, and the thinking was that people would opt for a lower cost Linux machine as opposed to a stripped-down Windows XP.

But that was never the case. Once Microsoft realized that netbooks were becoming a big seller, it started offering discounted licenses accompanied by a set of certain limitations on hardware, and has dominated the market since.

That's not going to change anytime soon but apparently Asus is renewing its commitment to open source and has revealed it will start shipping some of its Eee PC netbooks with Ubuntu 10.10 preloaded. The initial lineup will include the 1001PXD, 1011PX and 1015PX, with more models added through the year. The announcement was actually made by Canonical, who says they're on track to ship over 10 million netbooks preinstalled with Ubuntu this year.

Several vendors offer computers with Ubuntu pre-installed, including Dell and a few other smaller players. Besides supporting Ubuntu on future systems, Asus is also expected to release a netbook based on Intel's MeeGo later this year.

Permalink to story.

Now if we could get a Transformer with Ubuntu (and maintain good battery life), I'd be all over that.

This is great! More people need to know about Ubuntu; too many people in the developing economies pirate Windows when they can make do perfectly well with open-source software.

Vrmithrax said:
Now if we could get a Transformer with Ubuntu (and maintain good battery life), I'd be all over that.
I remember reading about a smartphone + tablet + netbook transformer on OMGUbuntu.

Bad move. But being first, maybe ASuS won't loose too much.

A few geeks will get it. Linux is really bad. And they have 1 million different version. Pure Chaos.

The energy-management is also really bad. Even the very first version of Vista, without the patches and SPs, could work better.

"Eee PC" normally stands for "Easy to learn, Easy to work, Easy to play"

With Linux inside in that moto you've to add the "NOT x3"

Guest said:
Bad move. But being first, maybe ASuS won't loose too much.

A few geeks will get it. Linux is really bad. And they have 1 million different version. Pure Chaos.

The energy-management is also really bad. Even the very first version of Vista, without the patches and SPs, could work better.

"Eee PC" normally stands for "Easy to learn, Easy to work, Easy to play"

With Linux inside in that moto you've to add the "NOT x3"

I'm sorry to say that you are completely wrong. They will be preloaded with Ubuntu which is only one distribution. It is true their are many more distributions but anyone buying these netbooks would not have to worry about them and the development of one doesn't negatively effect the other. As for Ubuntu not being easy to use? I would especially have to disagree with you there. Ubuntu is by far on of the essayist Linux distributions to use and I find it even simpler than Windows.

A lot of how good it turns out depends on how the Ubuntu is developed for these devices. Dell made a horrible scenario for its Ubuntu based PC's while it sold them, and drivers, and software required for the OS was a real nightmare and not well supported in the community.

If they release all developed drivers, and are transparent it could be a success. The first thing I'd do in any case though is remove Ubuntu - you can do so much better for these sorts of devices by using a less intensive and resource hungry DE. Xubuntu would have been a better option in my opinion.

Back