Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hi all

I recently built my new computer and have been trying to overclock my AMD Athlon x2 7750 CPU (Not Black Edition). But for some reason, it wont overclock very far at all. I cant even get it to 3ghz before the overclock fails and the bios resets the settings back to default. Ive been reading online that this CPU can easily reach 3.1Ghz on air without any voltage adjustment.

I have an Asus M2N68-AM PLUS Motherboard a 1GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 Memory. I hear that this motherboard can overclock reasonably well and i know the ram can go a long way, but i still cannot reach past even 2.95Ghz, even if i adjust the voltage to the cpu, ram or chipset.

Does anyone know whats up with this? I would really like to overclock my CPU to 3.1Ghz.

This is a full list of my systems specs:

Motherboard: Asus M2n68-AM Plus
RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
Video: Intergrated GeForce 7025 Graphics (Upgrading to a cheap 8600gt soon)
PSU: Thermaltake 430watt PSU

I know the 8600gt is a very bad video card but at least its far better then what ive got.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nissanman.

Hi Nissanman,
Unfortunately I can tell you why that is. i own a 7750 but mine is the BE. I had mine (before i replaced it) OC'ed to 3.4 by using the unlocked multi, the non BE versions however do not like to have their ref clock moved very far at all. if you are getting 2.95 you are doing very well for a non BE version. many non BE 7750 owners cant get their FSB past 208. it looks as if you have yours up to 222Mhz

Ive got the 7750 BE and I cant get it past 3.0. Ive got a Biostar 790GX mobo and 4gigs of RAM, 8800GT video card. Getting a processor thats a good overclocker is a crap shoot. Have you tried increasing the processors voltage a little?

Even more important than a CPU's overclock headroom is the ability for a motherboard's overclocking stability. You need a good foundation to get anywhere. Just because someone got their chip well past 3Ghz doesn't mean you can get close using the same setup. It also comes down to BIOS version, settings, RAM timings and cooling. There's a LOT more to OCing than just the CPU and Mobo alone, which most people overlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back