Athlon64 Motherboard Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuzZah

Recommendations

Hey, can anyone recommend a good gigabyte, AMD compatable motherboard in the price range £100 - £150 as I'm not too familiar with what a 'good' motherboard would be.

Please post the full name of them so i can find specs etc.

Thanks

What is your definiton of "good"?

Is that Euro?(IM not great with the currancy as im only fourteen and dont worry to much about money when im traveling)

Edit:Ok i found a converter, it is $123-$185 USD in case anyone else wants to know.

AMD motherboards are not even compatable with eachother. We can't help you until you tell us what processor you are thinking about (Athlon XP, Athlon 64 - socket 939 or 754). Secondly, if you want only a Gigabyte, probably the more expencive the better it is. It only gets complicated when you look at different manufactors. If you have a specific question like "do i need sata?" we can probably answer that.

I've gone with an athlon 64 processor on socket 754, but can someone tell me if VIA or nForce chipsets are better?

Edit: 'STK' got the currency conversion wrong. I was spending GPB (Great Britain Pounds) which when converted to USD (US dollars),

My price range becomes: $183 - $275.

As 1 GBP = 1.83657 USD

I want it to be SATA compatable, AGP 8x and compatable with athlon 64s, but I know nothing about motherboards really. I can see which ones are compatable with the other hardware components i've selected, but I know nothing about the peformance of one motherboard over another, but I assumed like 'abc' said, the higher price the better. But again if someone could tell me if VIA or nForce chipsets are better peformance wise.

I think it is generally accepted that the newer nForce chipsets are the best overall.

There's more to a board than a chipset though, so don't let that be the deciding factor when it comes down the decision.

The S754 VIA K8T800 ATX A L R was a motherboard recommended to me elsewhere, i was told:

It's a good mobo. Trust me
but they couldn't tell me why it was a 'good' motherboard so i thought i'd check.

However, based on what was said about nforce chipsets being more generally accepted, I found the nForce 3 Socket 754 ATX Audio/LAN/RAID motherboard which also suits my needs so if someone could tell me which is likely to peform better, I will have my finished PC :)

Thanks again

the kt800 pros are probley a lil faster then the nforce3-250 overall but the 250 has alot intergraded into the chipset.

Hey, if you are as cheap as I am, I only buy MBs from NewEgg.com "refurbished." They are actually new, sometimes come in retail boxes with everything, more often just the MB.

I just bought Aopen or Abit (I forget) KT800 boards for $20 each. Yes, I have to dig up the rest of the stuff, but as I said, I'm cheap, abd NewEgg is the ONLY way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back