TechSpot

ATI display driver has stopped responding and has been recovered

1. Every couple of minutes while im playing minecraft, my screen will freeze, and a random color will appear in the monitor covering the whole screen. Then, after a few seconds, it will say: ATI Display Driver has stopped responding and has been recovered. I have to end the javaw process because i can't recover minecraft after this. For some reason, this only happens in minecraft, and is happening so often that it is unplayable. I am using a hd 5870.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,925   +347

If you haven't already, I would uninstall the old graphics driver and install the newest one from the AMD website.

3. thesurvivor190

thesurvivor190 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 68

I have. However, i seem to be getting some issues with the new drivers. Sometimes, if i leave my computer on for a long time, which I often do to upload vids to youtube and render videos. If i press ctrl alt delete, to open the task manager menu, it pauses for 5 seconds or so, then switches, then, it pauses for another couple of seconds before switching back to my desktop. Also, switching between 3d applications does the same thing. It's a black screen, and my mouse cursor won't move. I am running windows 7 64bit. However, i dont get the device driver isn't responding error anymore.

4. mailpup

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Minecraft. Maybe there is something wrong with the first install.

5. thesurvivor190

Minecraft is working fine now. However, some 3d programs don't seem to be running as well as before. For example, i used to get a steady 60 fps (with vsync on) in Batman arkham asylum. However, now, it often drops to the low 40s while punching enemies.

6. mailpup

When you uninstalled the old graphics driver, did you do so through Programs and Features? If not, maybe you could do so and then reinstall a fresh one.

7. thesurvivor190

What i did was: I downloaded the latest driver from amd. Then I used that driver to uninstall my current one. I rebooted, and started in safe mode, and used driver sweeper to wipe the remaining files. I rebooted again, and installed the drivers. And then i rebooted.