ATI performance issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparton 10

Hey, over the last few years i've owned several gfx cards both nvidia and ati depending on what was worth it at the time.

It seems though that the ATI cards i've owned all seem to deteriorate in performance over time (around 6 months) while nvida cards didn't, currently i'm using a HD 4850 which is doing the same thing and i was wondering if anyone knew why this happens and if there's any way to fix it because its becoming a real problem i mean i've gone from playing fallout 3 on full settings to playing on medium with no AA or AF as an example, also i use xfire to check my FPS.

Specs if it helps: Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, Sapphire HD 4850, 3 GB ram, 500GB WD HDD(almost full),Gigabyte P35 mobo(version 2.1)

Cheers in advance
(no i am not bias dont care about company as long as it works)

Thats a strange one I never had any issues whenever i bought ATI or nVidia for myself or friends, and with regard to stability/performance; usually both of them do what came on with the box. Anyway, I'll check around to see if I can find something on this one.

Degrading performance is usually a product of an overheating card. Would pay to check the tempreture (both at idle and full-load)-if it's high, and these card's aren't the coolest running in any case then I'd check the card's heatsink and fan for dust buildup-especially if the case sits on/near the floor and/or the chassis has limited or no fan filters.
Are you sure it's the graphics card?
If the harddrive is "almost full" likely this is slowing the system down. At the very least it won't be helping the access time. Is the drive defragmented often?

thanks or the help, i'll check up on the temps but it has a non stock cooler on it and usually never goes past 60 degrees at most, as for dust well the heat sink fins are seperated enough that i've never really had any dust in there but my hard drive could possibly be an issue, i'll look around for a new one it's getting a bit old and has started to make clicking noises though i'm told WD do that anyway.

The only thing is i had the same issu with my HD 3870 although that could have been heat related because it ran damn hot, could fry an egg on that thing

Clicking noises? that is not a good sign at all. I think DBZ has pointed you in the right direction towards your HDD then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back