ATI RADEON 9600!! Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

I'm actually very depressed with my pc right now, so if you could help in any way possible please get involved in replying! :dead:

My card was made by Sapphire, www.sapphiretech.com Its the 9600 series and mine is called an Atlantis in perticular. I am having big problems running games like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Call of Duty because I can... run the game on full gfx and it runs smoothly but 2-10 minutes into play the game suddenly closes, which is beginning to cheese me off considerably.

I have got Direct X9.0b and OpenGL, everything that I should have! My mobo is a PC CHIPS one, PCCHIPS I think, anyway, it accepts AGP 8x and so is the card, I've also set in the BIOS the speed of the RAM on the graphics card, both run at 128.

I've tried taking AGP Fast write off, don't understand that... if someone could also say what that does.. thanks.

I generally don't know what I should do about my card because I cant get to grips with what the problem is, and I cant bloody register on the sapphire site because the register keeps refreshing instead of doing anything else, lame.

I will include a little info I got from my pc.

======================DISPLAY ADAPTER INFORMATION======================

Graphics Card Manufacturer = Sapphire Technology Ltd.
Graphics Chipset (ASIC) = RADEON 9600 SERIES
Device ID = 4150
Vendor ID = 1002
Subsystem ID = 7C20
Subsystem Vendor ID = 174B

Bus Type = AGP
Current Bus Settings = AGP 8X
Primary Display Device = Yes

BIOS P/N = 000-00000-000
BIOS Version = 0.2063
BIOS Date = 2003/07/22
Memory Size = 128 MB
Memory Type = DDR SGRAM / SDRAM

Tuner Type = Not Detected
Decoder Type = ImpacTV2+
Video Standard = PAL
Audio Type = Not Detected

Display Drivers Version = 7.97-031212a-013119C-ATI
Display 2D Version = 6.14.10.6414
Display D3D Version = 6.14.10.4045
Open GL Version = 6.14.10.4103
Control Panel Version = 6.14.10.5061

Graphics Card Manufacturer = Sapphire Technology Ltd.
Graphics Chipset (ASIC) = RADEON 9600 SERIES
Device ID = 4170
Vendor ID = 1002
Subsystem ID = 7C21
Subsystem Vendor ID = 174B

Bus Type = PCI
Current Bus Settings = Not Detected
Primary Display Device = No

BIOS P/N = 000-00000-000
BIOS Version = 0.2063
BIOS Date = 2003/07/22
Memory Size = 128 MB
Memory Type = DDR SGRAM / SDRAM

Tuner Type = Not Detected
Decoder Type = Not Detected
Video Standard = Not Detected
Audio Type = Not Detected

Display Drivers Version = 7.97-031212a-013119C-ATI
Display 2D Version = 6.14.10.6414
Display D3D Version = 6.14.10.4045
Open GL Version = 6.14.10.4103
Control Panel Version = 6.14.10.5061

========================MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION========================

CPU Type = AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+
CPU Speed = 2166 MHz
North Bridge Chipset Vendor ID = 1039
North Bridge Chipset Device ID = 746
North Bridge Chipset Revision = 10
North Bridge Chipset Drivers Version = 5.1.2600.0
North Bridge Chipset Drivers Date = 7-1-2001

South Bridge Chipset Vendor ID = 1039
South Bridge Chipset Device ID = 2
South Bridge Chipset Revision = 0
South Bridge Chipset Drivers Version = 5.1.2600.0
South Bridge Chipset Drivers Date = 7-1-2001

Presence of Dual CPU = No
System RAM Amount = 512 MB

I have windows XP w/o SP1.
What should I do?

Basically,
MY GAMES CRASH AND I DONT KNOW WHY!!! :blackeye:
All help is needed thanks, email : jonofeist@hotmail.com
or visit site www.covertclan.com/forums or reply here!

Originally posted by FeTaLDaMagE
Any errors listed in the event viewer? And is this crash with all games or just the couple noted?

any game i play. which happens to be:

MOHAA
MOHAAS
COD

only them, (currently installed)
NEW pc problems :(

The first thing you'll want to do is stop making changes to your bios ,unless you were instructed by a tech or knowledge base info.I am not sure what you mean by "setting the ram and video memory speed to 128, in your Bios"but that does not sound right.
Are you experienced enough to change speed settings for Ram ?
If your only crashing during game playing and then after playing a while .It might help to clean up your HDD and defrag. regularly.Do you know how to check for your page file settings and if the temp files are on the same disk as your operating system.Are your games installed on the same drive as your O/S.
A lot of these things can help if they are set correctly.

Im not that thick! Its a new pc and it does not need derfagging, everything is installe don the same disk as I have only one disk! Please do not treat me as if I am an *****! Thankyou

gd thinking snowman, im trying now, the cpu core temp is 44 degrees C ill try it in a bit with the side panel off, Thanks M8

Originally posted by d3fay3
Im not that thick! Its a new pc and it does not need derfagging, everything is installe don the same disk as I have only one disk! Please do not treat me as if I am an *****! Thankyou

It is never my intention to insult anyone .But you wrote that you set your memory speed at 128 and that is not possible.Also it does not matter how new a machine is your HDD can become fragmented very quickly especially with games.
If I thought you were an ***** I would never have answered your problem. I ONLY come here to learn and help if I can
The info you wrote I mistook for a novice and I apologize
Good luck with you problem

I feel your pain. I have an Asus 9600xt and my problem is after about 5 minutes of gameplay in any 3D game, the screen goes black. The game is still playing and making sound.

This problem is happening to other people, from my findings.

some suggestions to try are set fastwrite off and set AGP to 4X and see if that helps. 8X truly isn't a big deal because the software must support it and many games don't.

also check the AGP voltage in the bios. people are finding it helpful to push up the voltage from 1.5V to 1.6V or 1.7V. The Radeon cards may be not working within the 1.5V spec which is causing the cards to shut down as a safety feature. hopefully their is a fix in the future

Good luck!

I'm not buying another ATI for a while either. I put my old GF3 Ti500 back in my computer and it works GREAT. I found even after all the tweaks I mentioned above, the card still doesn't work. Now, the problem could be a combination of video card, motherboard and PSU but I don't care at this point. Nvidia, I'm coming back!

Power problems

Remember that their suggestion of using a 300W power supply in the instructions will not cut the mustard in using a card higher than a Radeon 8500 (I believe as I have not tested the 8500 in my old configuration), it took me upgrading to a 400W power supply in order to get rid of the constant lockups and restarts that were associated with heavy 3D use applications on both the ATi and Nvidia Brands, I use a Radeon 9600XT with a Giga-byte 7VRXP motherboard, with 1 gig of PC2700 memory, and an Athlon XP 2800+, yes this board runs it at 4x AGP. My old config was with a 350W power supply that came with my case (Yuck!), ran my old Radeon 7200 (VIVO) perfectly, but after two failed attempts (with the results as mentioned above) at a video card replacement with one Nvidia Geforce FX 5400 and a Radeon 9000 Pro, and I went to the local Fry's Electronics and got a 400W PSU from Fudin I think... after installation the problems disappeared. Moral of the story is, the higher the wattage power supply (don't forget a good quality power supply) the better.

And don't let anyone tell you that a higher power supply is going to draw more power than a lower one, the power supply wattage that you use has no bearing on usage drawn and calculated by the electric company, as the overall usage is based on the power demand of all of the devices in the machine at any given time, I have measured usage for a 400W power supply with my system components, and usage including my monitor goes no higher than 210-250 watts per hour, which makes for a semi-decent electric bill (provided that it isn't left on 24-7).

Enough of my rant, stable power and abundant capacity are crucial for video cards, and computing in genereal.

Thanks

I have a 9600xt and had the same problem. 5 mins into Doom3 it just came up with a black screen, and i had to re-start. Solved the problem by replacing the standard fan (which was pretty rubbish) with an artic cooler. its a huge heatsink with a fan built in. pretty quiet too. So im guessing the problem was overheating. you shouldnt run your pc with the sides off - just make sure you have a decent air flow front to back within your case. You can get the artic cooler from e buyer for less than £10. Easy to fit.

I have the same prob but I have a good cooler on it from zalman
]Picture[/URL]
But the screen just turns black and you have to reset the pc. :evil:

I hav bought a new graphic card a asus geforce 6600 Gt and the problem is solved :giddy:

My computer is an HP and has an Athalon 2800, 512pc 2700 ram, and a 9600xt gfx card. The gfx card did not come with the computer but the 250 watt psu runs the whole system with out fail. For a year and a half the computer has run well so im pretty sure that you do not need more power than the recomended (300w) because i have 50 less watts and am doing fine

I have the same problem with radeon 9600 pro. There is no game that i can play!!!!!!! Every game suddenly closes. Some times i play 10 minutes, some times 20, but every time it stops. I bougth the card before 4 mounts. I reinstaled my windows, change the drivers, but it didn't help. If anybody have the same problem and have an idea what to do pls tell.

9600 xt radeon

Man, I dont like ATI.

No matter what game I install, it closes after 14 seconds. Its a brand new windows install and harddrive. Is it a lost cause or should i get a new card.

I just need a decent one that runs on AGP , that can run WoW, and dawn of war of the warhammer universe.

Gees...........why me ati, why me

What have you tried so far and what are your system specifications?

Check for viruses, spyware and that kind of crap.

Also, check that your CPU and video card aren`t overheating. I had a radeon 9600XT and it worked like a charm.
Don`t blame ATI just for one card. :)

Yo how old is your card? Mine was about 2 years when it broke. It hasn't got annything to do with overheating and stuff it is just old and used. It is a dead card XD. Just buy a new one and your prob is solved. You can't save a dead card. I bought a new one and I never have anny prob. these cards can't live forever.

Good luck :giddy: :giddy:

Hi, I got an ATI Radeon 9600, and since I installed it my pc began to crash specially when I run specifics games; I dont'n know if it is motherboard problem but, I know that videoboard is new an HD too. After the windows crashes, I always receive "System has recovered from a serious error". Any help, do I need to change Mainboard?

Sagreb said:
Hi, I got an ATI Radeon 9600, and since I installed it my pc began to crash specially when I run specifics games; I dont'n know if it is motherboard problem but, I know that videoboard is new an HD too. After the windows crashes, I always receive "System has recovered from a serious error". Any help, do I need to change Mainboard?

Yo how eccatly does your pc crashes? Does the screen turns off or does the game just goes back to windows? (to your desktop)

@P!M, it obviously reboots since he says he receives the message "Windows has recovered from a serious error....".
@Sagreb, does it give u a blue screen before it restarts or does it just restart randomly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back