ATI card and Monitor Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen79

I have a ATI 9600 Pro using: RADEON WIN 2K/XP OMEGA DRIVERS 2.4.87 (3.9 catalyst based) Direct X 9

8x Epox Board
AMD XP 2.8
1GB Ram

Often during gaming, my monitor will go in to standby mode and the only way to get it back on is to reset the machine.

My power saving settings are set to always on.

Any ideas?

The default settings for 'Always-On' puts the monitor in stand-by mode after 20 mins (if I remember correctly). You need to change the 'Turn off monitor' setting to 'Never' and then click 'Apply' to make this the new default for the 'Always-On' setting.

Having said that, I am surprised that your monitor would power down while you are using your PC, and not wake up again. You may also need to check you bios settings to make sure that your PC is set to wake-up with any activity on the keyboard/mouse ports that you are using.

I`ll double check the bios setting thanks, but I think its a driver problem perhaps.

I have grabbed the true monitor driver now for my AOC 15" TFT (instead of 'plug & Play') but I had already changed my monitor to "never" (I should have made that a bit clearer).

Stephen, I have read about other people having a problem similar to yours in other forums. You might want to take a look at this thread, here at TechSpot. I can't remember if it mentions your problem anywhere, but I have seen your problem mentioned somewhere.

There are many conflicting reports on the new ATi drivers, and I'm not about to say the Omegas are causing your problem. But, in some other articles I've read, a lot of people are saying there are not any problems with the regular ATi drivers. I ran the latest Omaga's, (there is a newer version than what you have, 2.4.96b) for several days and had no problems with them, other than I did notice a 2 or 3 degree system temp rise, other than that, I thought they were great.

My suggestion would be to go back to the regular ATi 3.8 drivers or even go back to the 3.7's, it might not be the problem, but you could give it a try and see what happens.

Omega 2.4.96b

Just installed drivers set.
I didn't want to revert backwards to 3.7 Cats so trying these.
First thing was to set to single monitor as default and disable 2nd monitor display in device manager then I rid the problem of Cat drivers mixing refresh rates with 2nd monitor.
I did a bench with AquaMark3 and with all setting to high quality I have achieved a high score of 40,053 !!!!
A nive 140 point gain over Omega's Cat 3.7 version driver.
So qua;ity and speed with this new Beta,
So far no problems

yep, I also installed these last night and so far (havent played enough to test fairly) so good.

I also replaced the plug & play driver with the true AOC 15" TFT one.

Well, I did test it pretty well now, and the monitor does still go in to standby mode even with these new drivers.

I found a post from someone with "the same" problem, only they sometimes get an error message. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Sometimes instead of the monitor going off and staying off, it would go off for 10 seconds and windows would come back up with a message saying

Code:
VPC recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands

And telling you to reboot your computer.

OK im haveing exact problem as you stephen but ive got an :

ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200

Ive installed drivers. and my power option are on meaing monitor switch off is "never" any help on what to do would be appreciated.

hmm, thought I replied to this again, maybe a mod deleted my post, but basically, either the card was faulty from the start, or the beta drivers melted the card.

Either way, my ATI card is broke, and had to be returned. Mid game the screen froze and the board beeped. I restarted, but the board beeped and the display wouldnt come back on.

I changed the memory and various parts, but still "beep" and no display.

I put my old GF440 card in, and it started up no problem. Its deffinetly the card or the drivers causing my crashing as whilst waiting for my replacement, I havent had a single game freeze (2 weeks)

I tested the ATI in another system, and it wont boot. One thing is for certain, I wont be using the 3.8 or 3.9 based drivers EVER again!

ATI 9800 Standby probs

I have an ATI 9800 All in Wonder and when watching TV I randomly (sometimes 5 mins sometimes hours) get my monitor entering standby mode but still listening to the broadcast on speakers. I cannot get it back no amount of turning the monitor on and off or waiting does the trick. Now I'm no expert but I thought watching tv would be a fairly low demand task for my pc considering I used to have a tuner on an P3 333. And also I play homeworld2 and Medal of Honour on best resolutions for hours at a time with not a problem. I have the latest drivers and catalyst installed and have been having the problem since 2 versions back. Now the one thing I have found out is that the card recommends a 300w psu and my Dell (even though brand spanking new few months ago) only comes with a 250w Psu and this has been suggested as a poss reason but I'm not so sure given the gaming demands and no probs and reviews on other sites say dell psu's are highly underated and a 250 is a good equiv to others 300+. Any ideas why montiro goes into standby would be appreciated as I have been waiting ages for responses from dell and ati

i also have a ATI AIW 9800 pro but have experienced no problems, maybe you should upgrade to the 4.2 catalyst driver and MMC 8.9 - that might do the trick (also get some more juice into your system if thats even an option).

*********UPDATE*************

System

Windows XP Pro Corp
ATI 9600 Pro (rad_w2kxp_omega_2522 (ATI) (Catalyst 4.2))
TFT 15" monitor (AOC @ 75Hz) Correct drivers
8x Epox Board
AMD XP 2800
512 DDR Ram
Power Supply - 550W
System Temp -> 35-40C

[power saving set to always on and recovery set not to reboot]

As I stated, my 1st card died after using these drivers: [RADEON WIN 2K/XP OMEGA DRIVERS 2.4.96b] . So, I sent it back, and got a different brand (still 9600pro).

This time, I stuck with the default drivers (all traces of the old ones removed). .... Still the same problem. Frequent random crashes and reboots.

So, the other day, I installed the lastest OMEGA drivers once again: (rad_w2kxp_omega_2522 (ATI) (Catalyst 4.2). I set everything up and got the refresh rate right (resforce), and ensured that VPC recovery was set to disabled.

Things worked fine that day with no crashes, but I have since had a few crashes and reboots. I am out of ideas, any suggestions?

I tried putting my old GF440MX in and it didnt give any problems over several days.

It has to be either an ATI problem, or an ATI & Epox board problem, or something simple. The sys temp is really low, so its not an over heating problem

ive had a very similar problem that has just started in the last week or so, sometimes my monitor will just flick off for a second or so then come back and sometimes it will go on standby mode, however when i turn it off and back on the display returns. ive not had it do this in games, but occasionally when listening to music or sufing the web.
to the best of my memory ive not installed any new drivers recently, i do have a prob with my crappy radeon 7000 in that the memory rarely comes up at 64mb, normally 16 or 32???
running a duron 1.1ghz, asus a78nx-x mobo 1gb ddr 266 ram
rich.

You're saying that the amount of memory on your Radeon 7000 is being misreported?
Where is this happening?

Anyways, if it's correct, then that card is on it's way to the junkyard. If it "looses" 16 mb ram by the tip of a hat, then you should feel lucky that it only blanks out your screen every now and again, and feel real glad that the next gen cards are just around the corned (one week for ATI, April 13th for nvidia), which will lower prices on current cards, thus making an upgrade more affordable.

Originally posted by Stephen79
I have a ATI 9600 Pro using: RADEON WIN 2K/XP OMEGA DRIVERS 2.4.87 (3.9 catalyst based) Direct X 9

8x Epox Board
AMD XP 2.8
1GB Ram

Often during gaming, my monitor will go in to standby mode and the only way to get it back on is to reset the machine.

My power saving settings are set to always on.

Any ideas?

Happens alot,.. Your video cards refresh rate is oo high for your monitor. In other words your monitor cannot handle your video card refresh rate. Only solutions are replace monitor with a better one or else set refresh rate to the least possible (best in your case is 60Hz).

regards

KRT475

Re: Re: ATI card and Monitor Standby

Originally posted by krt475
Happens alot,.. Your video cards refresh rate is oo high for your monitor. In other words your monitor cannot handle your video card refresh rate. Only solutions are replace monitor with a better one or else set refresh rate to the least possible (best in your case is 60Hz).

regards

KRT475

sounds plausable. I have a TFT monitor running at 75Hz (its max) and set my max fps in games to 75 also.

I will reduce the monitor to 70Hz and my games to 60fps - think that should be better?

Thanks for the reply :grinthumb

k, well I bought a 19" TFT that runs at up to 2800x1240 @ 87Hz, and it still didnt work.

I downloaded EVEREST Home Edition to check my GPU (graphics card temp) and it was 70c at idle though it didnt seem to go over 72c. I dont know if thats normal for a 9600pro, but I am so sick of it......

I just spent £700 on a new rig, P4 3.2 775 socket and a 9800 pro.

Stephen79 said:
k, well I bought a 19" TFT that runs at up to 2800x1240 @ 87Hz, and it still didnt work.

Are you sure about that spec? I've never heard/seen/imagined a 19" that did that resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back