ATI vs NVIDIA (for a new computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBear

I'm trying to decide between these two computers. Which would be better for gaming? Thanks!

$649
Model Mercenary MK-300
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition 3.2GHz dual-core
Motherboard ASUS M3A Socket AM2 AMD 770 chipset
Memory Crucial DDR2 800MHz 2GB (2x1GB)
Hard Drive Western Digital 320GB SATA
Graphics Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 512MB DDR2
Audio Onboard High Definition 8-channel
Optical Drive 20X DVD-writer SATA
Chassis Antec New Solution NSK4480B Mid Tower
Power Supply 380W PSU

$779

Model Mercenary MC-400
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz dual-core
Motherboard ASUS P5K-SE Socket 775 Intel P35 chipset
Memory Crucial DDR2 800MHz 2GB (2x1GB)
Hard Drive Western Digital 500GB SATA
Graphics Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 512MB DDR2
Audio Onboard High Definition 6-channel
Optical Drive 20X DVD-writer SATA
Chassis Antec New Solution NSK6580
Power Supply 430W PSU

The Intel one would be a bit better, but as seeing the price difference why not go for the AMD one and use the extra cash from the Intel one to upgrade to a 8800 GT 512Mb graphic card. Unless you plan on over clocking you don't need the black edition processor as well, just to save you a little cash. From the Intel one you also get more space and a stronger power supply though, and I don't think if you bought the AMD one it would have enough juice for a 8800 GT.

All in all if your buying the parts separate you can get better but if you can't switch the parts both are good but the Intel is better.

I've heard that AMD processors are much better than Intels. So is it just the power supply, HDD, and video card that's better?

the intel+nvidia system will eat the amd+ati system
4 or 5 years ago AMD was on top but intel has been the leader for awhile now

Nah its all those components in the Intel PC that are better. The "E" Processors will Eat the AMD Athlon, though in this case their wont be a very dramatic difference.

Both rigs are nice but I wouldn't pick either of those cards if you want to game. What is your budget broken down to for a video cards? And as for a PSU I would watch my 12v rails and amperage. Today's systems demand more.

GBear said:
I've heard that AMD processors are much better than Intels. So is it just the power supply, HDD, and video card that's better?

That's ridicolously far from true nowadays. Years ago, AMD Athlon's were a bit better than Pentium 4's. But Core 2 Duo/Quad absolutely shatter any and all AMD's.

Basically the way I see it, AMD cost less than Intel, but they also perform less. So the price is relative, AMD: low cost, lower performance, Intel: higher cost, highest performance.

I'd go with the Intel/NVIDIA rig.

i'd go with the intell/nvidia rig as well, but i agree that you should see if you can get an 8800 gt instead of an 8600. another thing about Intel processors (i speak under correction) is that last i heard they use less energy and generate less heat due to smaller dies which is a green point if that matters to you. also, psu wattage seems low, granted it should be enough if the 12v rails are solid, but you'd better check.

Yeah, I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new video card (I'm not paying for the computer).

Thanks for your help guys.

So basically, even though the AMD says it's much faster (3.2GHz), the Intel is actually better?

Okay, thanks.

Well, a friend is telling me he's tested an AMD and Intel on the same computer, and he said he's been getting way faster FPS with the AMD. And that Intel is better for running multiple programs while AMD runs single programs much faster. Like the front side bus of AMDs are way higher than Intels. Is he correct?

Depends on the type of dual core.

In this case

E6750

Clock speed: 2.66 GHz
Cache: 4 MB L2 shared
Front side bus: 1333 MHz

Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black edition

Clock speed: 3.2 GHz
Cache: 1MB L2 per core
Front side bus: 1000 MHz

That is why this Intel is better than the this AMD
They will be incredibly similar in performance though and between these two you could even expect the AMD one to be a bit faster in some games than the Intel and vise versa.
No idea what any of this means? This might help a bit,

Clock speed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate
Cache: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache
Front side bus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus

I'd say he's an AMD fanboy. =P

3DMark06 - Graphics
Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 2.66GHz : 10365
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6400 : 10356

3DMark06 - CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 2.66GHz : 2385
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6400 : 2372

QUAKE IV
Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 2.66GHz : 117.60 FPS
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6400 : 109.90 FPS

Prey
Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 2.66GHz : 117.70 FPS
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6400 : 112 FPS

SUPREME COMMANDER
Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 2.66GHz : 46.60 FPS
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6400 : 42.93 FPS

For basic comparison, Intel is a ahead of the pack a bit.

For the same price as the E6750 i can get the E8200 45nm version, and it's faster once again. Why don't you just get that one?

Well, the computer comes as a whole. I can't change anything. Yeah, I'm not paying for the computer, and my parents don't want me building one (even though I want to).

in my opinion

id buy the Nvidia card

in my experience theyre more reliable than Ati cards

also id go AMD

i just dont like Intels for games and for heat lol

Disregard your parents advice! You can build one, its easy! xD

Lol I'm an AMD fan boy too! ...but I still know that in the current case, Intel is coming out with the better processors >;D

I'm with you on the price thing as well. Intel is a tad to pricey for me. And as your buying like in this case the price / performance ratio is still about the same on both sides though.

AMD: $163.00
Intel $189.99

Slight disadvantage for AMD, and you can see the price evens that out. From the 25$ difference you could get a AMD Phenom 9500 Agena 2.2GHz and then I think they would start to even out in performance and price wise.

The AMD Phenom are actually horrid at gaming, I did mass research into making a gaming PC for a mate lately so I'm up to date with the benchmarks. If you're going to get an AMD for a gaming PC, you have to have an Athlon; Athlon beat all Phenom in gaming.

Intel are more reliable for performance as of late, I stand by getting the Intel/NVIDIA PC. Nothing further to say. =]

@resu: Yeah well, the new Intel don't generate that much heat, and who cares if the end result is that Intel perform faster than the AMD anyway. It doesn't matter if AMD have superior technology to Intel if in the end Intel still perform better. If Intel generate more heat but perform faster, isn't that the same as having an AMD and then overclocking it, thus increasing heat, to match the Intel performance?

AMD cost less yes, but they also perform that much less than the Intel. It's not equal exchange; for AMD it's a performance trade-off for a lower price, AMD are like the low-end version of all Intel's.

I am very satisfied with what my Q6600 could do, and my new E8400.

^_^

The $779 system is better.
I'm guessing the 430W PSU is an Antec Earthwatts series one. If so, it will be plenty for that system.

fullmetalvegan said:
@resu: Yeah well, the new Intel don't generate that much heat, and who cares if the end result is that Intel perform faster than the AMD anyway. It doesn't matter if AMD have superior technology to Intel if in the end Intel still perform better. If Intel generate more heat but perform faster, isn't that the same as having an AMD and then overclocking it, thus increasing heat, to match the Intel performance?

AMD cost less yes, but they also perform that much less than the Intel. It's not equal exchange; for AMD it's a performance trade-off for a lower price, AMD are like the low-end version of all Intel's.

hehe yea i think its just that ive always had successful AMD rigs and always will
im prolly gonna phenom (or what ever) for my next rig for CAD etc .. but i will have to check bmarks etc
i think i prolly get put off by intel because of their marketing "wow look at our new quad core!!" "its great buy it now" then everyone boasts about "yea i gotta quad" but then you find that its a dual core split ... now in my mind thats not a quad lol

i guess AMD tell it like it is if they're gonna make a Quad they make it a real quad lol

never mind .. i know im an AMD fanboy at heart but at the end of the day i dnt really care lol

its all about the character of the CPU maaaaaaaaaaaaan lmao

i'm very curious as to why your folks don't want you to build your own comp... not only is it really easy, but its a useful skill to have. plus i'd say that for $779 you could probably build a little better system then the one your buying whole.

PC build

i am building one today i just recieved all of the parts an hour ago i have the motherboard in cpu installed and 2 500 gig drives i will post pictures of the build later...oh yeah and its an AMD based system

Well, it's not that I don't know how to build my own CPU. It's because my parents don't want me to. And if they're paying, I'm definitely going to do what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back