Backdoor Trojan for Windows ported to Mac OS

By Emil
Feb 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A Remote Access Trojan (RAT) for Windows, known as darkComet, has been ported to Mac OS X. The new backdoor Trojan is not yet finished, but it could be indicative of more underground programmers attempting to take advantage of Apple's growing market share. Here is an excerpt of the default text that the malware displays in the full screen window with the reboot button, courtesy of Sophos:

Read the whole story
  2. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TechSpot Maniac Posts: 378

About time awareness picks up. No OS is 100% secure.
  3. Gars

Gars TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 228

4. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TechSpot Maniac Posts: 378

5. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 586   +45

Haha, awesome! I hate all of the "more secure" arguments. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. No matter what architecture you have, the bits still twiddle the same.
  6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,473   +301

7. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

HA!

That is all
  8. Whoaman

Whoaman Newcomer, in training Posts: 71

O my god. I just can't believe this could happen on my so perfect, precious and adorable Mac. This just can't be happening. Denial.... denial. Just as Nostradamus predicted - the end of the world is nigh!

Thankfully Apple is all over this inevitability and have been building in excellent seamless protection at the core level that will not perceptibly slow down the Mac nor constantly irritate the end-user like UAC etc etc. or push them to research or install endless third-party tools to try to combat it. The addition of the App Store is just one of many steps.

Winboys, stand back and watch how the big boys do it! ;)
  9. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Take care not to choke on the fumes while having your head stuck so far up your wind breaker.
  10. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 942   +42

No it isn't, someone could run off with it, taking whatever you were working on in the process. Heaven forbid you were smart and left a "If found please contact: " stickers/notes. Journalist portable type writers were even self enclosed in a carrying case... JUST ASKING to be taken. :)

lol.
  11. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

0/10 troll effort. Make a new account and try again.

12. Whoaman

Just doing my best not to disappoint the stereotypical expectations of those here suffering from apple-envy. :)~
  13. ramonsterns

trollantrollantrollan

Actualy, just kidding. I didn't mean to call you a troll. After being on the internet long enough I can believe you *are* this stupid.
  14. Whoaman

I guess your definition of Troll is "isn't a head-over-heels Windows fanatic" . Otherwise, half these posts might fit the real definition nicely.

Also, I think you should consider picking-up a sense of humor. We would all benefit.
  15. Gars

Gars TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 228

wrong
    i dont save my doc's on the desktop or even in the same room
    but ninjas are every ware - so, no safe place ;)
    the OS works fine and its almost 100% secure, even have scroll :)
  16. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,438   +282

This is still something where the User is at fault if they get infected rather than the 'malware' getting through the OS.
  17. ramonsterns

You're right. We all have Apple-Envy.

We all wish we had that much money to throw away too.
  18. Whoaman

Qualify that. Otherwise by definition you WOULD be a troll.

"a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community"

Perhaps for Princeton we should add " and isn't a Microsoft Windows fanboy".
  19. ramonsterns

Oh hey, that sounds just like you too!
  20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,407   +834

Don't you feel like you're "slumming it", running your yap here with all the Windows users? Do you think you're going to enlighten us" to Apple superiority.?

In any event you opened the door to this line of discussion with this remark, :
    We may be suffering with '"Apple envy", but IMHO, those who actually own Apples are probably suffering from penile envy, and to be precise, that would be Steve Job's penis.

Now, why don't you go run along and bang up your credit card with a Macbook "Air", (in your case a Macbook, "Hot Air"), grab a picture of Mr. Jobs for wallpaper, then do what "comes" naturally with it.
  21. Whoaman

Ahh but even some rudimentary math will show you this is not true. It's called Mac resale value. And this is really only one of many factors for TCO and ROI. Support is another. And there are many more.

Stupid would be to think that cost is only what you pay at the till.
  22. ramonsterns

I do get support.

For free.

Right here on this website.
  23. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,407   +834

An' we don't bees knowin' nuffin' bout no Lemons, er I mean Apples. So, it's back to China fer U 'n yer Apple.

Anyway, I think an Apple trojan is a wonderful affirmation of Apple becoming viable in the marketplace. Unfortunately, it's also a big let down for those who confuse the lack of malware for product superiority. But then again, "see the crooks do care after all, and they're coming for your personal information. They want to get to know you better. You interests are their interests. Heart warming, isn't it?

Actually, most of the cranks that think they know it all about Apple are over in the "Adobe Photoshop Forums. The know absolutely nothing about computers, but everything about Apple. Does anybody else see the paradox there?
  24. Whoaman

Naturally any generic pc tech rag will have a predominance of Windows users by ratio. I don't think that means all others should not take part and I don't think I need explain why.

Secondly, if one is going to dish it out then they'd better also learn to take it. Many of you take something as insignificant as a computer or OS far too seriously and attach your identities to it as if it is a limb on your body.

And apparently many of you do need en-lightening. Whether you can get blood from a stone is another matter.

Finally, I am platform agnostic to a large extent but enjoy debating and debunking the myths so many cling to concerning the different platforms.

We all owe a lot to Steve Jobs regardless of what Computer\OS\Phone\Tablet we choose as he is a major force behind getting everyone in the industry to "pull up their socks" and improve and innovate.

Regardless, Steve is just a human being like you or me with a family and friends etc. His health is obviously quite fragile at the moment and I wish him and all others in his situation the best.
  25. Whoaman

lol :)

dem'thar China seems to gru all'dem dang 'puters now 'cept for da'brain. Kinda figures.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.