Battlefield V delayed to avoid being sandwiched between Black Ops 4, Red Dead Redemption...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? EA is taking a calculated risk by delaying the launch of Battlefield V in order to avoid competing with Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Will it pay off?

EA on Thursday announced that Battlefield V will miss its original launch window by a full month. Initially scheduled to arrive on October 19, the game is being pushed back until November 20.

Oskar Gabrielson, general manager at DICE, offered up an explanation for the delay, saying the developer is taking the extra time to make final adjustments to core gameplay based on user feedback. According to Gabrielson, they’ve already made some meaningful improvements to the core experience such as improving soldier visibility, adjusting the gameplay tempo and reducing player friction. These changes and more will be reflected in the open beta set to kick off on September 6.

There’s another good reason for the delay that Gabrielson failed to mention.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 launches on October 12 and is followed a couple of weeks later by the arrival of Red Dead Redemption 2 on October 26. Had Battlefield V kept its original October 19 launch date, it would have been sandwiched right between two other highly anticipated games.

A rumor that pre-orders for Battlefield V have been weak probably isn’t helping matters, either.

Permalink to story.

Fairly certain most of us PC FPS gamers are way beyond bored with playing the spammy Conquest gamemode over and over again. BF really needs to up their gamemodes. Operations from BF1 was a good improvement - but DICE/EA had the opportunity to drop some really unique BR kinda gamemodes this year and failed to do so.

Here's a free one for ya, DICE: Normandy Beach - 120 players - 40 German vs 80 Allied - when you die, you're dead. Doesn't have to be a BR, just death has to matter.

I stopped buying battlefield when they removed dedicated servers on PC. I made an exception for bad company 2 on console because the multiplayer was just that good.

BFV is nothing but a CoD clone. The gameplay doesnt resemble battlefield anymore, the behavior of the devs is questionable, and honestly who wants WWII again? Why not do korea, or vietnam, or hell, since BFV is an alternative reality, make your own war up. Put some creativity in it FFS.

Fairly certain most of us PC FPS gamers are way beyond bored with playing the spammy Conquest gamemode over and over again. BF really needs to up their gamemodes. Operations from BF1 was a good improvement - but DICE/EA had the opportunity to drop some really unique BR kinda gamemodes this year and failed to do so.

Here's a free one for ya, DICE: Normandy Beach - 120 players - 40 German vs 80 Allied - when you die, you're dead. Doesn't have to be a BR, just death has to matter.
BFV is going to have some sort of BR mode. You see it at the end of that trailer. They haven't said much on what it's going to be, but it'll be there. As an aside, that should have been their reveal trailer. The original reveal trailer was terrible.
I stopped buying battlefield when they removed dedicated servers on PC. I made an exception for bad company 2 on console because the multiplayer was just that good.

BFV is nothing but a CoD clone. The gameplay doesnt resemble battlefield anymore, the behavior of the devs is questionable, and honestly who wants WWII again? Why not do korea, or vietnam, or hell, since BFV is an alternative reality, make your own war up. Put some creativity in it FFS.
Wtf are you talking about? lol BF has had dedicated servers since forever, and I'd know since I've played almost all of them since 1942. CoD is the series that removed dedicated servers, then brought them back, and now as some weird P2P/dedicated hybrid.

BF looks, sounds and feels nothing like CoD (and much like I've played almost every BF game, I've also played almost every CoD game with the exceptions for both series being the console exclusives). You may not like BF, but that's an asinine comparison. That being said, I do agree with you on wanting a new setting. I didn't want WW2. Again. I was hoping for Bad Company 3 set in the 80's or something.

A COD clone? No dedicated servers? Seriously, stop it....Battlefield 3, 4 & 5 all have dedicated servers and feel absolutely nothing like COD.

People don't play FPS to die and not respawn....

EA and DICE can make any claim they want about this. They know the game is going to flop and they are in damage control. Preorders are way down and people are just sick and tired of EA in general. Battlefield has gone away from their good formula and now want to incorporate their social justice warriors into the game. Sorry, but no thanks. BFV might look good, but graphics alone don't sell games.

What I think would help sell the game is making all playable characters transgender women of color that fight for equality against patriarchy that keeps them down and pays them less money for the same job.

EA and DICE can make any claim they want about this. They know the game is going to flop and they are in damage control. Preorders are way down and people are just sick and tired of EA in general. Battlefield has gone away from their good formula and now want to incorporate their social justice warriors into the game. Sorry, but no thanks. BFV might look good, but graphics alone don't sell games.

EA ditches paid premium passes and najes map packs free and the internet still finds a reason to be angry...

Uh? So you want twice as many people on the opposite team. Have you ever played a game of BF1 where there are more people on the opposite team? Its not fun. And you want it like battle royal where once you die you have to exit the game and have to find a new server and wait 5> mins to play again? No thanks

They can't run 60 fps on 2080ti, and 20+ fps with RTX ON, so they need extra time to strip a lot of content. No need to pretend a hose.

EA ditches paid premium passes and najes map packs free and the internet still finds a reason to be angry...
they literally called anyone who didn't like the direction they were going with this "authentic" ww2 game, "uneducated" and the told us to not buy it if we didn't like it. oh and whoopy freaking doo, they quit ramming us up the *** with their bullshit dlc practices allow me to applaud them for removing something that shouldn't have existed in the first place

BFBC3 would be nice, but I will reserve my comments about BFV until it is out & I play it.
how can you say you don't like the game without playing it?
It is like saying, "I don't like Vegemite" & you haven't even tried it.
BTW, Vegemite is my favorite food :)

I'm reserving my judgement until the Beta comes out but I haven't got much hope for this one.

The comments from EA have been particularly worrying. "You're all uneducated" if I believe Women weren't in WWII and, "Don't buy the game if you don't like it" was a particularly dumb comment from them.

I was a big fan of BFMC2 and BF3, Less so for BF4 but BF4 at least redeemed itself (eventually), Hardline no one even talks about, that's just been swept under the rug and BF1 went forwards in some ways then massively backwards in others and I'm very mixed with BF1, sometimes I love playing it, sometimes it frustrates the hell out of me, which no other BF game has done before.

I haven't pre-ordered as I was disappointed by BF4 (at launch), Hardline was a waste of money and BF1 disappointed me.

If only Red Dead Redemption 2 was coming to PC at the same time as consoles I would be playing that instead. Maybe Star Citizen 3.3 in October will give me something to do while I wait for BFV to release and find out if it's not just a massive Social Justice WWII spin off freak show.

BFBC3 would be nice, but I will reserve my comments about BFV until it is out & I play it.
how can you say you don't like the game without playing it?
It is like saying, "I don't like Vegemite" & you haven't even tried it.
BTW, Vegemite is my favorite food :)
because I can dislike by seeing the direction they're going with it in the pre release footage on top of the previous attacks on their fan base. I refuse to support ea and I hope this game fails miserably

Dear DICE: bring back the teamplay magic of BC2. No more Lone Wolf Buffs like the medic pack you can pick up from a medic station. You should have to find a medic! So amazing that they STILL don't understand what people liked so much about BC2.

because I can dislike by seeing the direction they're going with it in the pre release footage on top of the previous attacks on their fan base. I refuse to support ea and I hope this game fails miserably
I don't like EA either, I just love FPS

Back