BCCode, Minidmps attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My PC has been restarting at various stages of booting - and then goes through the entire rigmarole of the Disk Check and then sometimes reboots again.. or allows me the pleasure of using it for a while before it reboots.

The BCCode error I got is

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BF81708A BCP3 : F0E2A248
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

following files in error report
C:\DOCUME~1\admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc8a9.dir00\Mini081708-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERc8a9.dir00\sysdata.xml

Now, before this, I have had Mozilla Firefox crashes (with bookmarks gone), a AVG Anti-virus software that was not getting updated, because of which I installed Avira.

I had Symantec installed earlier and so, the tech guy I called reinstalled Symantec and removed Avira (said thats the problem)

however i do not believe him.

Another wierd thing that has happened is, the Symantec user interface has shifted to the older one (where the screen used to scroll down) from the new one (where the updates used to show on the screen as a list - is this something to do with the reboots?

Could you please help me out?

Max

Antivira and Symantec do NOT play nice together. They cannot both run trouble free on the same machine. Your tech was correct in removing Avira, but maybe not correct that the conflict was the problem. But if it were mine, I would remove Symantec and use only the Avira Antivirus.

The minidump tells us nothing. Perhaps you could download and run HiJack This from Trend Micro, then run it, and post that log here.
How old is your hard drive? Is it a Maxtor, Trigem, or Samsung. I see hints that your hard drive is bad, or badly corrupted, or infested.
Suggest you run the free Spyware Doctor 6.0 scan, or SuperAntispyware, or MBAM MalwareBytes... or all three... to see what evils lurk.
What sort of Windows disk do you have? If it is NOT a manufacturer's restore or recovery disk, I would run it in repair mode as described below:
Repair Install WXP

If you have, or can borrow an XP CD, boot your computer using that disc. You may need to change the boot order in your computer BIOS (usually by pressing <DEL> at startup to get to the change boot section) because you want the CD to boot before the hard drive. If this doesn’t work, check your system documentation for steps to access your BIOS, then change the boot order. Once done, you may want to go back and return it to the way it was.
You should then see a <welcome to setup> screen, where you will find these choices:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press Enter.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3 and
Press <ENTER> to start the Windows Setup.

Do NOT choose “To repair a Windows XP Installation using the recovery console, Press R” as that will produce unwanted time and trouble... unless you have considerable experience in running the repair console.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and at this time press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, stop running the setup.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not depress any key to boot from the CD when that message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP Firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

Reapply updates and install Service Packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will likely remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates issued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.

Thanks for your reply.. I will look for the XP installation disk..

Just as I was about to start the PC again,

i got this message

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

this is a windows xp sp2.

does that message help reveal something? its ages since i saw the BSOD but this better be worth it :)

Max

That IRQL... error message is usually the result of a "bad" driver for some component. This sometimes happens when there is a conflict with a driver and a Windows update.
Have you made any changes or "improvements" or "Updates" to anything on your computer recently.
Take a look at your Device Manager ( Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager ) to see if there are any yellow or red flags to indicate a problem with a device.
It is a pain, and time consuming to do, but if there are no flags, you need to take a look at all your drivers for possible updates. There are several online services that will do that, but they are expensive and unreliable. So it becomes a matter of updating your chipset, ethernet, video graphics, and audio drivers.
The problem can also be caused by memory issues if you have 512 MB or less.
If the error only appears once in a while, you can wait and see if you can figger out what is making it occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back