TechSpot

Benchmarks suggest Ivy Bridge MacBook Pro, iMac coming soon

By Shawn Knight
May 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Several clues are indicating that Apple's updated MacBook Pro and iMac could be just around the corner. Perhaps the most compelling hints are a couple of benchmark scores recently uploaded...

Read the whole story

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +628

Retina will be a nice feature, but it would be even nicer to have more RAM as well.

3. You can always buy more RAM. 8GB of RAM is $50 on Newegg for MacBook Pros.

The high resolution and high quality display with thin aluminum body will be the game changers. Most PC laptops use cheap quality components and for sure none of them will match the new MBP's screen resolution/quality.

4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +628

That's true. I was thinking of the 8GB cap that's present on the models prior to 2011 (didn't pay attention to that year model, so I didn't know they had removed the cap until 5 seconds ago when I googled it).

5. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +99

Yeah, I like the MBP and MBA, pretty much only apple PC products I actually like ^^ Friend was going to buy an iMac for his birthday since he does music and graphics (games on consoles) but told him to wait if he wants an iMac since the new ones are coming out ^^

6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +358

MacBook Pros are top notch hardware for sure. Looking forward to what Apple has to show, though I wonder how can you successfully use a high resolution display while keeping websites readable without scaling (which of course degrades image quality of bitmap elements).

7. How about a MAC book pro with 16+ gb of RAM? I've been able to get a windows laptop with 32gb of ram for years. Someday they will listen to power users.

8. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +10

I'm wondering at the pricing of the MacBook Pros with retina displays. I, personally would be willing to cough up about $150-200 extra over normal laptop pricing to get a better display. If it is more than that, I'll live with a crappy built-in display and a kick-*** external monitor.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.