best free firewall please reply immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, for spyware, I'd recommend Adaware or Spybot S&D. For free firewall, probably Zone Alarm. For Popups, I hear good things about the google Toolbar addon for IE.

PS: this would have been best put in Misc. Software

Moved by sngx1275 :)

Originally posted by XtR-X
I think Norton Internet(/Personal) Security is the best. They also block ads.

I use Norton Personal Firewall myself,and like it, but he asked for "free" options.

Oops... again... you know I always miss those circumstances... freeware shareware, etc.

But, if you pay just a little for top notch security, you'll be happy.

Of course, don't come saying that I can still be hacked. Anyone can still be hacked.

to remove spyware then adaware and spybot, for a free firewall then I like Zone Alarm, paying for ZA Pro isn't a bad idea either. And to end popups I recommend getting Firebird browser or you can get Google Toolbar (with popup blocker) for IE here...

http://toolbar.google.com/

I agree with Storm and Tarkus, Zone Alarm, Adaware, and Spybot. But I like MyIE2 for my browser, it has a popup stopper and a lot of other great features.

I use Agnitum Outpost Pro Version 2 with the Avant browser.

The free Outpost (version 1) I can heartily recommend, it beats the free Zonealarm. http://www.agnitum.com

Either version of Outpost, combined with (free) Avant take care of all popups, never see them.

In addition to ZA and Outpost I can recommend Kerio Personal Firewall. Against spyware pretty much only choices are Ad-Aware and Spybot. Best popup stopper is the one built into the browser ("browser" as "almost anything but IE").

Rick's best free firewall...

Originally posted by Rick
The best free firewall is disconnecting your network cable. :)

Now Rick that is funny! LOL It really works well with AV apps. too! In fact, I suspect that the very best protection against any kind of intrusion is probably to hit the power button and turn the whole darned thing to the "Off" position. But then I digress... ;-) :D

I have Zone Alarm Pro, (got booted up by ZA from the "free" edition to "try out") MRU Blaster, SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, and even tried - OMG! AdAware 6, AVAST AV app. and I for one don't understand any of them! I have "reached the end of what I should know" and haven't a clue how to get to the beginning of "what I should sense".

The only two I do like are SpywareBlaster and MRU. At least I "understand" them.

Gosh I hate having to read the Encyclopaedia Britannica just to figure out how to optimize an application so that I can maximize the benefits. I like programs that I can set and forget.

Sniff sniff, boo hoo hoo.

I think I'm maxed out learning new stuff. I'm supposed to be enjoying my Retirement not trying to become an IT Expert.:-[

But that's just me....

P.S. Can't even type anymore..typos drive me nuts when I see them.

Don't know about that...

Originally posted by Bartender802

Reur: comment about spelling.

It tend to think that there are more typographical errors (typos) than actual "bad spelling". Haven't read all two million posts to test the theory, but I prefer to err on the side of kindness. I know that when I've made a typo myself, I fool feelish as I ought to know better. So long as I get the gist of what is being said, poor spelling doesn't really bother me all that much. :eek:

Personally I recommend Tiny Personal Firewall, it is small and doesn't bother you, while doing an excellent job of keeping people out.

I've used Norton Firewall, Zone Alarm and McAfee and now use the FREE ZoneAlarm. I find it to be the best around specialy the price :smile: AdAware and SpyBot does the job for spy and ad-ware. The best popup stopper I found is the built in one with the Google toolbar. Nothing get through it.

I've been using Sygate for a number of years, and it has never let me down.

Firefox has a great popup stopper, and the one included with the Google toolbar is excellent, too.

Agree wholeheartedly with Adaware and Spybot, tho I also use SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard which happily sit in your browser repelling all boarders without making a song and dance about it. You can get them both free from JavaCool Software here: JavaCool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back