Best HTML program?

By samc
Oct 10, 2005
  1. I've been using SWiSHmax (Flash) for ages and now want to be able to merge my work with HTML.
    Given that I am a novice in this area, what would be the best software for me to use?
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

If you know your way around HTML, any good Notepad replacement, that highlights source commands (such as from C, Java, CSS, HTML etc. will do great.
    Try EditPad Pro from

If you need your hand held while 'doing' HTML, one of the leading applications is CoffeeCup HTML Editor
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

Microsoft Word will save a formatted document in HTML. It does a reasonable
    job at static pages, but will not give you all the bells and whistles like CSS, DHTML, Javascript.
  4. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

It does a terrible job at saving static pages! The code it produces is bloated and barely readable, not conforming to any web standard. Try opening a well coded page in Word and saving it as a different name, then compare the two.

Never EVER use MSWord to save web pages!
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

sadly this is oh so true! However, for a newbe to HTML, this is a short path to
    getting A PAGE or two. As you note, no professional would ever take this route! :blackeye:
  6. mischievous_neo

mischievous_neo TS Rookie

coffee cups the best for both beginners and those experienced....i tried a lot....html kit, nvu, tsw...but i find it the best
  7. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

8. samc

samc TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanx for all your advice.
    I'm using coffee cup at the moment, just to get a feel of how things work.
    Create it in coffee cup, examine it in notepad.

Thanx again
  9. Kev_Boy

Kev_Boy TS Rookie Posts: 23

I really dig Macromedia's Dreamweaver.
    Code/Style view is absolutely awesome, but it'll cost you, it isn't cheap.
  10. barney_3d

barney_3d TS Rookie Posts: 20

its worth it for the fact its such a good package
  11. Arcanum

Arcanum TS Rookie Posts: 181

I agree with Kev Boy,
    the Dreamweaver is the best you can get, and if you can get your hand on the whole Studio set, it'll be a dream!

However, it is pricey, so depending how far you're willing to go or how serius/professional you're about your work it's well worth it...

If you're really looking for the best, yet not hard to use, and a very good/nice interface, I wouldn't look further than Dreamweaver...

(sorry if I came off as a Macromedia representative or something :), wasn't intended )
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.