TechSpot

Best PCI Wireless adapter? Opinions?

By Sharkfood
Aug 9, 2006
  1. Howdy gang,
    Where I'm at currently, I only have access to wireless and really struggling to find a good, stable, decent PCI Wireless network card!

My laptop works great as it's using a built-in unit. The wireless here is pretty stellar too as it has 8 channels with signal strength anywhere from 80-100% (I'm sitting right next to the unit) on a 3 gig connection with next to no one using it.

I tried a Linksys Wireless-G WMP45G V2.0 PCI adapter- but this thing was a nightmare. I've tried shuffling it and my Audigy (only 2 PCI cards in the system) to just about every combination of the 5 PCI slots.. and while it performed well, it would cause blue-screens/minidumps (varying from IRQL to PFM minidumps) randomly when dropping/reconnecting the wireless.

It's a totally insecure wireless too so it's not a WEP or key issue..

I've purchased a Netgear WG311T PCI Wireless and while the blue-screens/lockups are gone, it seems pretty slow.. very poor latency and throughput.

If I could find HALF the performance and stability of my laptop's wireless, I'd be ecstatic.

So, anyone have a preferred/opinion on a wireless PCI? I'd love to hear your favored unit. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.