Best RAM to use with the Gigabyte GA-X58A-OC?

DKRON

What type a sticks would be the best? (has to be atleast tripple channel and prefer atleast 12GB)

Use the memory QVL as a guideline, but as a general rule Corsair, Kingston, Crucial and G.Skill work fine with Gigabyte boards. You might run into some compatibility problems if you are populating all six DIMM's (6 x 2GB), so I'd recommend a 3 x4GB kit. The lower density Vengeance kits are on the QVL, so your probably safe with a DDR3-1600C9 kit. If you're planning on overclocking, either move to a CL8 or 7 kit, or move to a DDR3-1866/2000 and see which combination of bandwidth vs latency gives you the best performance. You probably won't see any substantial gains, but this is dependant upon whether you want to get the RAM solely for the density you need (12GB), or because you enjoy the sport of overclocking and tweaking - I'm assuming the latter given the board you're using.

Here's the Kingston memory configurator results....
...and Crucial's

Corsair and G.Skill seem unaware of the X58A-OC's existence as far as their momory configurators are concerned.

the sole purpose of buying this board is because a damaged my gigabyte X58 UD9 recently and the only motherboard my supplier has is the OC one, apparently its as good as the sniper motherboard anyway

I haven't had any experience with the orange'n'black beast, so I'm treading lightly with the recommendations. I've used most of the other boards in the Gigabyte range and they are relatively trouble free and tolerant when it comes to IC manufacturer, but the same can be said for the P67/Z68 range, and yet the high-end Z68X-UD7 is a basket case - I was told after the last RMA that the board had been discontinued...so, the "one size fits all" analogy might not be applicable to all Gigabyte boards' component compatibility.

nah one fits all definitely doesn't exist, the UD9 was stupidly complex (mostly why they discontinued it) i do still have a triple channel 12GB (6x2) kit thats working so i might try that one first but im expecting problems with it again as usual

Back