Best video card for P4P800-E?

Tonymandala

Hello,
I am using an ASUS P4P800-e board with AGP 8x slot.
INTEL 865PE Chipset. P4 3ghz cpu. FSB 800 mhz. 2 gb DDR Ram (will increase).
ATX 480W unknown brand - cheapish.

I want to upgrade my Video card from Radeon 9200se 128mb to a 1gb card.
I was looking at an HD4650 but saw on a forum that my mobo may not support the cards GPU ... not sure about this?

If my AGP slot is not up to it would it make any difference if i tried a PCI card like the SPARKLE SP95GT1024D2LHP

I was wondering if i was wasting money trying to get 1gb card to work if my machine has limits ? perhaps i would get more or same performance from a lower spec card.
I would like to have DirectX 10 capability if possible.

Would be grateful if anyone knows the best card to use with this board.

Thanks in advance,, Tony

AGP graphics cards and DDR memory is expensive. Save your money and get a machine with a PCIe card slot and DDR3 memory.

P4 systems are slow and you would never benefit from all the performance of a new GPU.

I would recommend at least a dual core machine with a PCIe card slot if you are interested in even slightly gaming.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes a new machine is the answer eventually.
you say "would never benefit from all the performance" do you mean get a 512 or 256 as opposed 1gb or just no DDR2/3 card ?

I am upgrading really as i am changing to Windows7 and my old card won't show aero.
Also i am a MS Flight sim user, thyought i would move up to FSX.
Although to use FSX to its full requires a machine well beyond my means, the program can be set to be less gready at he expense of detail and framerate. Its wasn't really designed for twin core either.

Just thought i would spend 60 euros on th HD4650 as it looked good value (on line offer).
I'm surprised no one here has tried to put a new agp card in an Asus P4 board, there must be thousands of them in circulation!

I'll probably just go for it unless anyone wants to suggest a more appropriate card ?

Thanks for your time, Tony

An HD 4650 (or HD 4670 if you happen to see one cheap-ish) probably represents as good as it gets in AGP. If you're locked into keeping the P4 setup in the interim, then the card is a reasonable upgrade- just don't expect miracles in performance....although it would be a considerable step up from the Radeon 9200.

Thank you 'dividebyzero'
At last an actual answer to my question!

Of course it will not be as quick as pci-e on a DDR3 board, i kind of took that as read.
As long as i get Aero and DX10 and as you say it should be a vast improvement on my current card.

Now i know it will actually work i'l splash out the 55 euros (Cdiscount com if anyone is interested)

Cheers dbz...

Back