Bethesda drops Doom reboot teaser trailer at E3

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Bethesda on Tuesday published a teaser trailer for the next release in the storied Doom franchise. The clip doesn’t reveal too much about the game although the publisher promises a proper unveiling will take place at QuakeCon 2014 next month in Dallas.

The clip’s narrator discusses how we were on the edge of discovery as it relates to a powerful technology with infinite possibilities but as is often the case in the video game universe, humanity screwed it all up and everything went to hell.

The obvious takeaway from the video is that the game looks to be creepier and more hellish than ever. As the briefing unfolds, a Cyberdemon is slowly revealed but perhaps even more interesting is the (tentative?) name of the game. Not Doom 4, but simply Doom. I suppose that’s a fitting title for a complete reboot of the franchise.

This will be the first Doom game since the 2004 release of Doom 3. Production on the game originally started in 2008 but everything was scrapped in late 2011 because, according to id Software’s Tim Willits, the game simply didn’t feel like Doom and they weren’t prepared to release it in that state.

Earlier this year, Bethesda announced that anyone who pre-ordered Wolfenstein: The New Order would get beta access to the new Doom game. The New Order was released on May 20.

My only concern at this point is whether or not Doom will be the same without John Carmack on board. He resigned from id Software last November to work full-time with Oculus VR. It’s highly likely that he contributed to the project for years but will his absence be evident in the final product?

Permalink to story.

Ugh stop using the same names!!!!! what is WRONG with games lately.

Also wow... what a new idea! doom huh, its not like we had doom, doom2, doom3 already?!

With a basic premise such as Doom, I'm surprised they haven't rebooted it sooner. Doom 3 was more a tech demo than a game, and unfortunately for id Far Cry already stole most of that thunder. If they focus on the campaign, like they did Wolfenstein, I can see this being the Doom game we've waited decades for.

I remember being stunned by Doom 3 graphics in 2004-2005, but overall I was disappointed with the dull story telling, and lackluster game play that involved a lot of enemies with very scripted behavior, as their redundant animations upon detecting the player suggested.

I remember being stunned by Doom 3 graphics in 2004-2005, but overall I was disappointed with the dull story telling, and lackluster game play that involved a lot of enemies with very scripted behavior, as their redundant animations upon detecting the player suggested.

Yeah, I saw doom 3 more like a graphic adventure that a fps, the gameplay is to simple, even doom 2 feels better. Still I beat that game like 3 times back in the day.

Personally.... I believe Carmack UN-involvement is a "God" send.

This is important because he did more than code, he had the final say on EVERYTHING...
So, if you cannot tell a story, and he can't apparently then the project is in trouble from the get-go... ("hell" I wonder if he could give directions to his local 7-11)

But what do I know.... Wait and see. I have beta access.

The teaser didn't do anything for me. I will reserve my opinion until after I see game play. And even then if the controls are complicated, I may not care. My fingers are not as agile as they used to be.

You all are just lame. This is Doom. Respect the legacy this game left behind. Here you all are bashing it when every single one of you played the hell out of these games back in the day.

Fallout 4 really, @TomSEA ? Different genre.

@lipe123 What else you want it to be called? Doom is a perfect title.

@veLa Remember, Doom 3 was more of a showcase of next-gen graphics. This game paved the way for the next gen so it was normal to expect a mediocre storyline.

@LNCPapa Get back to FB.

@aspleme Lol HL sucks.

Actually - my comment about a dislike button was directed toward another poster - but I guess it applies to you as well. Why not grow a pair and post as an actual user instead of a guest.

@LNCPapa What's the matter, boy? Grow a pair? What are we in, like the 3rd grade? We start using third grade terminology now lol.

Cool, can't wait to check it out. I still feel these game types are on their way out though. Everyone is getting bored with a single player campaign where you fight aliens. Granted, many of us in our 30's will get all nostalgic and hopefully, like this game. I tried with Duke Nukem Forever, but it just didn't work for me. Let's hope this reboot does better. And I know it has nothing to do with the story, but next gen graphics always helps sell a game.

The soul of the original doom was John Romero, it was he who designed many of the glorious levels
the key to make a good doom game: MAKE UNREALISTIC LEVELS!!!

im sick of freakin realism in games, the original doom had crazy shaped rooms and passageways, and the limitation of no floor on top of another floor was a strength I think

Back