TechSpot

BitTorrent to launch paid version of uTorrent

By Emil
Jul 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. BitTorrent today announced that it will launch a premium client called µTorrent Plus this fall. The new client will be aimed at those who are looking for extra convenience and…

Read the whole story

2. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

Wonder how much they'll charge it?

3. blimp01

blimp01 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157

pay to download free stuff

4. Yo dawg, I heard you like piracy so I pirated your piracy so you can pirate while you pirate.

5. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

"i dont have enough money to buy movies legally.. oh look! i can buy a program that lets me download free stuff illegaly!" :D

6. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 686   +47

lol everyone who uses it would use it to torrent the paid version cracked so it would be very pointless. Plus utorrent is free, and there are dozens of others. Maybe they are doing it to raise funds for there eventual legal fees from lawsuits

7. Once the company bought it... Its future couldn't be so bright. The company 'till now has added a ton of junk into the client. Now, they're going to charge for, certainly, the most requested features, users suggested so far. Something like PeerGuard and more, of course.

Anyway... I really don't know what alternative I could possibly use... Do you know any other similar? Light and easy to use?

I update all my programs normally. μTorrent is and would be the only one "outdated." I stuck on 2.2.1 version.

8. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

I wonder how long i will have to wait for the cracked copy.

9. TekGun

TekGun TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +13

About one hour...

10. Det

Det TS Rookie Posts: 84

You mean minute?

11. sounds a bit like Vuze

12. WTF! What features an you possibly add, as in program functions that are not there and worth paying for? Me thinks they are going to castrate the free version and limit it and that's the last they'll see of me.

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +60

Those features can be found in the article. I know theres a app for your phone that makes viewing TBH easier for .99 cents. I almost considered buying it, but I am way to cheap. Ease of use for multiple devices, phones, laptops, tablets, kindles etc might be worth it. I also bet they will combine reputable torrent sites into a single search. Probably like how frostwire should have been and would have been if they had the geniuses who made utorrent working for them. Yeah yeah I know crackalacka.

14. "pay to download free stuff"

People....................................................

There is something called programs, than people do, and take time, they don't growth on the trees. Maybe you could do your own program to download free stuft......

15. Quote of the year :)) Very funny stuff.

16. mccartercar

mccartercar TS Enthusiast Posts: 111   +15

Running version 3.0 Build 25454

17. For everyone thinking this will just be cracked and that's the end of it, these guys are making uTorrent. They're smarter than that.

Chances are you're either going to need an account of some sort to use a paid service and/or it will have some phone home tech built in. There are tons of programs out there that are either un-pirateable or so much of a pain to do so it isn't worth the effort and you're stuck many versions behind the current one. The main thing would be the pricing. $10 seems fair to me, but they'll probably charge a premium to capitalize on the brain dead people who don't know you can download the free version.

In the end the only feature I could see actually worth paying for would be some kind of proxy/ip privacy feature.

18. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

I always loved Utorrents disclaimer while you were downloading it - something along the lines of

"If you paid for this you were ripped off, promptly request your money back, utorrent is free software etc. etc."

So - going forward, they are saying we're being ripped off ? cool stuff.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.