TechSpot

BitTorrent to start certifying devices, launching an all-in-one client

By Emil
Jan 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. BitTorrent has teamed up with the Information and Communications Research Laboratories at Taiwan's Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) to deploy new standards for consumer electronics. Manufacturers and developers will be able to apply a "BitTorrent Certified" label and logo to their products; chips, designs, and devices that get certified will promise a seamless consumer experience for playing BitTorrent content on Blu-ray and DVD players, digital TVs, tablets, and mobile devices. The BitTorrent Certified technology ecosystem will ensure compatibility amongst all devices, conte...

Read the whole story
  2. mtrenal

mtrenal TS Rookie Posts: 45

It has sounded as though BitTorrent has planned for their programs to go more above ground and legitimate for some time, but I'm a bit confused as to how they plan to do this. Unless they are simply asking companies to embrace piracy of all media? Do they want to buy rights to distribute movies, music, etc and then have something similar to an iTunes Store (a "BitTorrent Store")?
  3. Anshrew

Anshrew TS Rookie Posts: 20

By "BitTorrent Content" do they mean accessing our torrent ques from remote locations, or are they adding some kind of magical codec(or whatever) support so that everything from my future BitTorrent certified cell phone to my bitTorrent certified TV and maybe even radio alarm clock can play any file type of any audio/video codec that i can find on the web?

That would be pretty sweet IMO.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.