Black screen. Video card not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a few months ago, I got a new video card (9800gt GeForce) and I had to do the regular stuff, uninstall onboard card, set bios to boot PCI-E... But today I turned my computer on and the screen was black. So I plugged the monitor cable into the onboard slot, and it worked...? So I checked bios, and it still said PCI-E, and I downloaded drivers for the 9800, but it still doesn't work. I don't get what happened, so please help! :confused:
PS: I have Vista. ;)

The integrated unit shouldn't even work with the dedicated adapter installed, so there is likely something wrong with the card itself. It's not a driver conflict, because the graphics card should operate without drivers. Try reseating the card in the PCIe slot and connecting the monitor back to the card, or the other port. If it still doesn't work, make sure you have the power dongle connected properly and that your power supply is working normally (you can check in BIOS to read the voltage ratings).

Was/is the video card getting power (i.e. fan spinning) ? If no then obviously power delivery, if yes, then your best bet would be to get a loaner PCIe graphics card and see if that will display. If yes, then the card is toast.
BTW is the card a "green" (low power) version -no 6 pin PCIe power connection? If this the case then these cards generally don't give their owners happy times and long life.

It has a 6-Pin power connection, and the fan is spinning...
Do you think it has to do with me turning it off by the button on the computer?
It's like it has reset the graphics settings...

What I have done is completely erase everything graphics card related. Now I am installing the drivers for the NEW graphics card, and I'll just have to hope it works since I can't get any good help here...

It has a 6-Pin power connection, and the fan is spinning...
Do you think it has to do with me turning it off by the button on the computer?
It's like it has reset the graphics settings...

What I have done is completely erase everything graphics card related. Now I am installing the drivers for the NEW graphics card, and I'll just have to hope it works since I can't get any good help here...

I thought I'd preserve your post for posterity...
Eight minutes after posting and you feel that you aren't getting the service you deserve? Well, sorry bud, this is a volunteer forum not some kind of tech-paramedic Insta-cure.
I ,and I guess a large number of people that help out here don't spend every waking moment glued to the forum. In my case I'm browsing the forum in between running stability tests on a second machine before I have to head out for work tonight.
Anyhow, enjoy your system troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back