TechSpot

BlackBerry finally bringing BBM to iOS and Android

By Jos
May 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. BlackBerry has just announced that its BlackBerry Messenger service will be released for Android and iOS as a free app this summer. That’s a major strategy shift for the company, which has long touted BBM as a key advantage of...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

I gotta say, BBM is the only reason some people buy BBs. They just lost their exclusive app.

3. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 882   +131

Any messaging service that is exclusive to one platform is useless in my eyes. I don't know anyone who uses BBM, though, so I'm sure I will never jump on board.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

I read an article earlier that I am trying to find again. It talked about why BBM for iOS and Android is a bad thing. If there eis no sort of profit in place for BB other than a bit of advertising, I dont know what will happen. I wont be surprised if it is a $.99 paid app.

amedhmd likes this.
  5. freythman

freythman TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

I was a pretty heavy advocate of BBM back in the day. After moving to Android, I've pretty much gotten engrained with GTalk, especially since I use Gmail. I love that I have a unified messaging service that I can use from multiple devices as only one "contact point." I'd be a hard sell to move back to BBM.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,207   +776

Text-only service is as useful to me as tit's on a bull.

7. platinumsteel

platinumsteel TS Rookie Posts: 27

Great....that means I can get rid of my blackberry and buy a samsung s3..lol..good move.lol

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.