1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

BlackBerry finally bringing BBM to iOS and Android

By Jos · 6 replies
May 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. BlackBerry has just announced that its BlackBerry Messenger service will be released for Android and iOS as a free app this summer. That’s a major strategy shift for the company, which has long touted BBM as a key advantage of...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar Elite Techno Geek Posts: 6,505   +972

I gotta say, BBM is the only reason some people buy BBs. They just lost their exclusive app.

3. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 972   +215

Any messaging service that is exclusive to one platform is useless in my eyes. I don't know anyone who uses BBM, though, so I'm sure I will never jump on board.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar Elite Techno Geek Posts: 6,505   +972

I read an article earlier that I am trying to find again. It talked about why BBM for iOS and Android is a bad thing. If there eis no sort of profit in place for BB other than a bit of advertising, I dont know what will happen. I wont be surprised if it is a $.99 paid app.

amedhmd likes this.
  5. freythman

freythman TS Booster Posts: 113   +10

I was a pretty heavy advocate of BBM back in the day. After moving to Android, I've pretty much gotten engrained with GTalk, especially since I use Gmail. I love that I have a unified messaging service that I can use from multiple devices as only one "contact point." I'd be a hard sell to move back to BBM.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,429   +2,579

Text-only service is as useful to me as tit's on a bull.

7. platinumsteel

platinumsteel TS Rookie Posts: 25

Great....that means I can get rid of my blackberry and buy a samsung s3..lol..good move.lol