BlizzGone: Blizzard cancels 2024 convention but promises an eventual return

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Blizzard Entertainment has canceled the 2024 installment of BlizzCon, the annual gaming convention usually held near the end of the year in Anaheim, California. The company didn't give a concrete reason as to why this year's event is now off, simply noting that they decided against it after careful consideration over the last year. That said, officials look forward to bringing BlizzCon back in future years.

The decision could have something to do with the company now being under Microsoft's umbrella. As such, we can probably expect to learn more about upcoming Blizzard projects like World of Warcraft: The War Within and the first Diablo IV expansion, Vessel of Hatred, during Microsoft's annual Xbox showcase in June.

Blizzard also mentioned plans for other trade shows like Gamescom and additional in-person gathers, like upcoming Overwatch Champions Series' stops at Dreamhack Dallas and Dreamhack Stockholm. There will even be multiple global, in-person events to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Warcraft (the first game in the franchise, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, launched on November 15, 1994).

Blizzard said that while these other events will be distinct from BlizzCon, they are working to harness their creativity and imagination to ensure they carry the same spirit of togetherness and celebration.

In-person gaming and tech conventions have struggled in recent years, and BlizzCon is no exception. The gathering was canceled in 2020 due to Covid and was held as an online only event the following year. Blizzard also canceled the 2022 convention due to legal issues at the time. Things got back on track in 2023, but it was short lived.

E3 experienced similar pitfalls following the pandemic. Last December, however, organizers threw in the towel and canceled the event for good. Fortunately, others have stepped in so the loss shouldn't be as stinging as it might otherwise have been.

Some also thought similar conferences like CES were in jeopardy, but organizers managed to host an abbreviated event in 2022 before returning in full force in 2023.

Permalink to story:

Well, well, well, well: No Starcraft III on the horizon, the old Warcraft stuff isn't much to brag about, I couldn't be paid to play Overwatch, and I'm glad I haven't bought Diablo IV "pay through your nose" edition.
Let's see, with Ubisoft's example of "woke" sh!t, will Blizzard quit the DEI/ESG nonsense and go back to making FUN games?
Not much hope, TBH.

Can you imagine "World of Starcraft" with the Confederates as a Playable Faction, NPCs with a Virginian accent, and hidden tributes to Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Jeb Stuart?

Original Blizzard was so badass.

I am satisfied more or less with WoW Classic.

I have zero interest in WoW Classic: hardcore" honestly can't think who in Blizzard had this terrible idea? Maybe Tom Chilton from his stint with Ultima Online? If so they should have learned that the vast majority of players had no interest in hardcore servers. Last time I checked the hardcore servers were mostly empty.

I have zero interest in uh "Season Of Discovery". Another terrible idea. If I had wanted to play Vanilla with design decisions and raids by the Modern Blizzard Design Team I'd play Retail. "SoD" servers are not doing very well either from what I saw.

I do not play Retail at all and never will. Last Retail expansion I played was "Warlords of Draenor", so I have no comments regarding current Retail.

The Classic Vanilla servers are still doing surprisingly well from what I saw.

Overall Classic was a great success and it helped Blizzard stay afloat.

I just want to play original starcraft with installing Bizzard’s whatever software. Not even sure if it runs on modern HW/Win 10 because I haven’t checked. But I loved that game back in the day.

To be fair, I rather they focus on improving games than to have some fluffy conference with nothing meaningful to show. I feel the decision to stop this is also a cost cutting measure.

They used to be the tops, but now they have nothing of any real quality to offer anymore. Bought by Activision and bent over by Bobby Kotick until there was nothing left but his golden parachute. Here you are in 2024 Blizzard. Was it worth it?

The majority of amazing developers, artists and inspiring leaders left due to bad management/leadership. Its by no means the company that created StarCraft, WarCraft and WorldOfWarcraft. They have nothing to present as the creative heart of the company is gone, its just a money printing company, that manages the assets quite well. Just have a look at the Diablo 4 disaster and what kind of people that work there.

What remains are the good memories and a list of leadership-names that ruined the company. Keep watching if they quit Blizzard and attempt to destroy the next business by their incompetence. I hope they go all to Boing and have a good company ;-)

Back