badger0112

Hi,

I have been getting blue screens, the most recent two have the error codes:

BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 0000008F BCP2 : 0004B2FF BCP3 : FFFFFFFF
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

and:

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : 00000000 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 80522704 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

I am completely flumoxed what to do about this, I recently reinstalled windows xp onto my machine to try and stop iut from creating these errors, but it does not seem to have stopped it.

any help with these would be extremely helpful

I have attached the dump files for both of the above.

Nathan

Attachments

• Mini021710-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini021710-02.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 3
Nathan, just so you are aware, the mods will most likely move your thread to the BSOD sub-forum found in the Windows OS forum.

0xA errors are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting to address an IRQ Level that they shouldn't.

Your other error is 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

This error is one the strongest to indicate that corrupted memory is the problem. Thus your problem is not with your OS but most likely your RAM especially with the number of Blue Screens you have been receiving. Your minidumps also didn't cite any specific cause.

You will need to run the completely safe and free Memtest86+ to diagnose your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thank you Route44 for the swift reply,

I did not realise that I had put it in the wrong section, sorry guys please move it if needed.

I will try running that tonight and send you the outcome tomorrow.

my computer also crashed a few days ago - I don't have any details for this except I found the dump file while looking for the ones from today, I have attached for reference.

Nathan

Attachments

• Mini020910-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 2
Ah ha! Another 0x4E and this one specifically cites memory corruption as your issue. If memtest runs and you see errors before Pass 7 then stop it and run it with one stick installed at a time.

I had this error two days ago and I spent the last two days running Memtest. When all four sticks were installed I received errors before I even got through the first Pass.

But when I ran it on each individual stick it took to the 7th Pass for any error to show. In other words, if you get errors with all stcicks installed but it seems to take longer with individual sticks just let memtest do its job.

By the way, when you are ready to purchase new RAM let us know and we can direct you. We will need to know what kind of memory your motherboard takes. Edit Update: It takes DDR2 800.

But run memtest first...

Hi Route44,

I have run version 4.00 of memtest86+ over night and it has not come up with any errors, see attached pictures.

my memory is 1 x 2GB stick.

I noticed that my memory is DDR2 - 400 not 800 does this matter?

Nathan

Attachments

• IMGP0142.jpg
    IMGP0142.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMGP0143.jpg
    IMGP0143.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 1
Hmmm, I am wondering if we are looking at a voltage issue here and not corrupted memory per se.

Can you link us to your mo9therboard and then to your memory?

Link us to your motherboard and your memory. That way we can look at your motherboard specs, particular the memory it will accept and then we can look at your memory specs and compare the two.

Never mind, I looked up your motherboard by doing a search for GIGABYTE G31M - ES2L. According to the specs your memory should be set at 800, not 400.

What is the make of your memory?

Okay, here is a very important link from Gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-g31m-es2l_2.x.pdf

It is a list of the qualified vendors and their memory offerings that are accepted for your motherboard. Only one Crucial offering is listed for the DDR2 -800 and it isn't your model. This could very well be your issue.

Gigabyte states at the top that it isn't exshaustive but a memory Quality Vendor List is very important.

* One other thing, your motherboard supports Dual Channel memory. The Crucial listed on the QVL is single sided @ 512 megs of RAM.

So I definitely need to upgrade my memory, which one from the list would you recommend?

I preferably would like the best RAM possible at the largest size.

So I definitely need to upgrade my memory, which one from the list would you recommend?

I preferably would like the best RAM possible at the largest size.

Good questions. Kingston makes excellent memory. It is one of the best. Corsair, Crucial, and Patriot are also Tier One memory makers.

When I looked at the list I didn't notice any 2x1 gig offerings by memory makers that I know. You certainly want dual channel and your motherboard can take 4 gigs of RAM.

Since you purchased this board in the UK you may want to look at the memory QVL for your country. The one I listed is for the US. Also, see if your motherboard is Revision 1 or 2. If you have a friend with tech knowledge he/she should be able to help you and the proper memory configuration.

hi Route44,

I have managed to find my motherboard version, it is v1.0

On Kingstons (and several other RAM producers) website there is a facility to input your motherboard and it will give you the required RAM.

After looking at a few different brands, I have bought the following RAM,

Kingston KVR800D2N6K2/4G

Description: 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM (Kit of 2)
Detailed Specifications: Standard 256M X 64 Non-ECC 800MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (DDR2, 1.8V, CL6) (Datasheet)
Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A
Form Factor: Memory Module
Pieces/Unit: 2 (Two 2GB modules, totaling 4GB)
Warranty: Lifetime

Hopefully this will prevent any more BSOD errors and my RAM has an increase to 4GB,

Thanks for all your help

Nathan

Good purchase and I forgot about Kingston's nice utility that allows it to scan your motherboard and gives you suggestions as to what memory is good for your board.

Please keep us up-to-date.

further problems

Hi Route44,

I have had the new RAM for a couple of weeks now and it has been working well. my PC is much faster and no BSOD until a couple of days ago.

I can't remember what the error code for that was, it wasn't 4e.

I have just had to restart my machine, as it had the following error:

BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 00000099 BCP2 : 0001676E BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

I attach the dump files.

your further help would be amazing.

Nathan

Attachments

• WERa10a.zip
    31.5 KB · Views: 1
Okay, your error is 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

As noted earlier this error is one the strongest to indicate that corrupted memory is the problem. However, it was also noted that Symevent.sys, a driver for Norton, was not loading. Do you run anything Symantec/Norton and if so is it updated?

Whhen did this latest BSOD occur? What were you doing at the time? Have you received any other BSODs since? Can you access the BIOS and see if the memory is set at the correct voltage (just as fact finding)?

By the way, it is 10:30 p.m. here. What time is it where you're at? :zzz:

latest BSOD happened at: 22 March 2010, 01:18:27 AM (GMT)

it is now 2:40 (how did it get to this time?), I will look into voltages in the morning. what voltage should it be?

good night and thanks for all your help so far

Nathan

I have ached pictures of all the screens in the BIOS settings.

The RAM is running at 1.920V

Nathan

Attachments

• 1.zip
    174.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.zip
    156.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.zip
    141.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.zip
    149.5 KB · Views: 1
Looking back at your reply #16 the memory specs you gave said it was designed for 1.8v. Set your memory at 1.8v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back